Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

The girlfriend doesn't understand our 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I would argue the 'less than fresh design' thing. This version of the S, coupe, sedan, and SL are to me the best looking version from the past 20 years or so. Clean, athletic, understated, I love em.
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    How old is the girl? That *may* have something to do with her appreciation of it.
  • ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37
    Even not being a mercedes fanboy I'm going to have to a agree. Less than fresh styling? It looks pretty aggressive to me. If that thing rolled up next to me in my car I'd feel like a lot less of a man lol.
  • joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    let her drive it.
  • gtulleygtulley Member Posts: 5
    Some girls aren't very smart.
  • goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    First, the old man's corpse comment was funny. I kinda get the comment, some cars are just not chick magnets. My GTO is the same way, it looks like a cavalier with Pontiac badges, whoever recognizes it will likely be a guy. It's a bro magnet.
    My Wrangler on the other hand gets a more looks and comments from girls although you see 20 at every street light.
  • shepskishepski Member Posts: 45
    She doesn't even understand those gorgeous WHEELS?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    It doesn't play nice with her iPhone 5s. Whatever. You're considering it for you, not her. I think letting Edmunds pick up the most notorious maintenance/repair items while it's theirs, and then you grabbing it at the end of the year is really smart. Good move, IMHO.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    It doesn't play nice with her iPhone 5s. Whatever. You're considering it for you, not her. I think letting Edmunds pick up the most notorious maintenance/repair items while it's theirs, and then you grabbing it at the end of the year is really smart. Good move, IMHO.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I hate to think about what she would think of my very very analog '72 MGB-GT. Small, slow, loud, smelly (by modern car standards). Not a lot to appeal to a modern girl.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I get what she is saying. And u may want to pay attention to her if this relationship doesn't pan out and you r on the market again...

I was kicking tyres down at a Carmax a while ago and was amazed at the bargain prices that big Benzes and BMWs were going for. A really sweet 6 series in the 30s etc.
    Then I sat inside them, checked them out, took them around the block. And lost all interest. They really are old man cars. Big, fat and with more power than they need.
    I felt like I was borrowing my grandpa's ride.

Listen to ur gf. Unless it is an old Benz, maybe a 1970-ish coupe, it aint cool. It's just big, fat, fast and done.
  • Mike_MagrathMike_Magrath Member Posts: 23
    bankerdanny: She'd love the MGB! -mm
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Yep, most women I know love MGs of any type. They are compact and cute, not overbearing or threatening. Same thing with Miatas. Now, for safety, the women I know love SUVs, complete opposite of the spectrum.

My wife initially was impressed with my old Jag XJ8, but quickly tired of it. I expect a big MB would have the same effect. My BMW 135 simply intimidated her. The power was too much.

If you do buy it, I do hope you have about $10-15K set aside for goodness knows what. The car is amazing, but sadly it seems an amazing mess.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    Mike, I would recommend you don't buy this CL65 at the end unless it is purely a weekend plaything. Benzes from this generation are nice to look at and drive, but really painful to own. You would be better off just waiting a few years and picking up a W216 CL65. The 2008 models can already be had for as little $55k, give them a few more years and they will drop down into the low 40s. By waiting you will be getting a vastly superior car that was actually built to last.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    The pillarless thing rocks. And ya can always upgrade the radio.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Lemme guess... she's expensive, temperamental, and high maintenance. Just like the car. To her it's competition!