Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Our Mazda 3 starting acting funny the other day so now it's headed for its first dealer visit.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    Edmunds have put quite a mileage on the car in less than a month.
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    Edmunds have put quite a mileage on the car in less than a month.
  • fsunolefsunole Member Posts: 25
  • fsunolefsunole Member Posts: 25
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Let's hope some reflash of the software fixes this. The forum post above does not have any solutions, but does show that this happens to other people.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Let's hope some reflash of the software fixes this. The forum post above does not have any solutions, but does show that this happens to other people.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    OK. So if you suspect low or no transmission fluid... did you check the level?
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    OK. So if you suspect low or no transmission fluid... did you check the level?
  • spikey2_spikey2_ Member Posts: 3
    It's probably like most new vehicles, the transmission is sealed and has no dipstick.
  • spikey2_spikey2_ Member Posts: 3
    It's probably like most new vehicles, the transmission is sealed and has no dipstick.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    We had this happen one single time with our CX-5 a few months into ownership, and it's never happened since. Some sort of weird computer fault. Eager to find out if your dealership has any idea what might cause it.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    We had this happen one single time with our CX-5 a few months into ownership, and it's never happened since. Some sort of weird computer fault. Eager to find out if your dealership has any idea what might cause it.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Looks like the Stingray is going to be one of the cheapest to own if the rest of the fleet keeps taking a dump.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Looks like the Stingray is going to be one of the cheapest to own if the rest of the fleet keeps taking a dump.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    This is where the value of Edmunds' long-term testing really shines. You'd never see this in a 10-minute test drive. I can't believe mfrs ship stuff like this.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    This is where the value of Edmunds' long-term testing really shines. You'd never see this in a 10-minute test drive. I can't believe mfrs ship stuff like this.
  • camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    The new Mazda 3 looks really nice but on a second though I think I might go with the Corolla!
  • camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    The new Mazda 3 looks really nice but on a second though I think I might go with the Corolla!
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Enjoy your circa 1970 4 speed transmission and circa 1971 1.8L 4 cyl in that Corolla. And we all know no Toyotas have ever been recalled because of faults. Um oh wait a sec.... Anyway back to the Mazda, I think you're past the point where "might" describes the probability. This is indeed a problem, no "might" about it.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Enjoy your circa 1970 4 speed transmission and circa 1971 1.8L 4 cyl in that Corolla. And we all know no Toyotas have ever been recalled because of faults. Um oh wait a sec.... Anyway back to the Mazda, I think you're past the point where "might" describes the probability. This is indeed a problem, no "might" about it.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Mechanical failure doesn't usually go away after a restart. This sounds like an electronic or software problem.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Mechanical failure doesn't usually go away after a restart. This sounds like an electronic or software problem.
  • newcastlein83newcastlein83 Member Posts: 0
    banana in the tail pipe?
  • newcastlein83newcastlein83 Member Posts: 0
    banana in the tail pipe?
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The stuff on that CX-5 website made ugly reading. How anybody can screw up software stability, computer communications, and valve body design in this day and age is beyond me. It was also suggested that Mazda has a culture of denial when it comes to things that should merit a voluntary recall. How nice.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The stuff on that CX-5 website made ugly reading. How anybody can screw up software stability, computer communications, and valve body design in this day and age is beyond me. It was also suggested that Mazda has a culture of denial when it comes to things that should merit a voluntary recall. How nice.
  • pezzy669pezzy669 Member Posts: 4
    I can say software stability/reliability has been a huge black eye for the new gen Mazdas. There were a few owners on 3 boards that had erroneous TCS/DSC/ABS warning lights that have gone away after restarts.

Oh and jesus you guys put a lot of miles on this thing in a month, or was is it a previously used press demo vehicle? If the latter this thing has probably been beat to hell.

Since you are well past break in I hope to see some road test stats soon!
  • pezzy669pezzy669 Member Posts: 4
    I can say software stability/reliability has been a huge black eye for the new gen Mazdas. There were a few owners on 3 boards that had erroneous TCS/DSC/ABS warning lights that have gone away after restarts.

Oh and jesus you guys put a lot of miles on this thing in a month, or was is it a previously used press demo vehicle? If the latter this thing has probably been beat to hell.

Since you are well past break in I hope to see some road test stats soon!
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    This why I really wish you guys would get a OBD scanner and give us the error codes you pull up. Who knows you may save someone on here some money or better yet a tranny.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    This why I really wish you guys would get a OBD scanner and give us the error codes you pull up. Who knows you may save someone on here some money or better yet a tranny.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    Sounds like the valve body issue that some people have had with mostly early CX-5s. But if a 2014 3 is having the issue it sounds like they haven't sorted it out yet.
    Sounds like the valve body issue that some people have had with mostly early CX-5s. But if a 2014 3 is having the issue it sounds like they haven't sorted it out yet.
    And given that they're moving towards using basically the same couple of powertrains in everything they make, they'd better get it solved. Imagine if they have to recall nearly their entire model lineup. Given that everything is all new, some glitches are expected (look at Ford's M-DCT and EcoBoost problems) and it seems like this one is not affecting a huge percentage of people, so hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    And given that they're moving towards using basically the same couple of powertrains in everything they make, they'd better get it solved. Imagine if they have to recall nearly their entire model lineup. Given that everything is all new, some glitches are expected (look at Ford's M-DCT and EcoBoost problems) and it seems like this one is not affecting a huge percentage of people, so hopefully it doesn't come to that.
  • craigistcraigist Member Posts: 29
    Most of the relatively few CX5 transmission issues have been from model year 2013 models built in 2012 (the 2014 models started shipping in early '13)... its surprising to see a similar issue in a new 3.
  • craigistcraigist Member Posts: 29
    Most of the relatively few CX5 transmission issues have been from model year 2013 models built in 2012 (the 2014 models started shipping in early '13)... its surprising to see a similar issue in a new 3.
  • trarmstrong86trarmstrong86 Member Posts: 46
    First year blues?
  • trarmstrong86trarmstrong86 Member Posts: 46
    First year blues?
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    Same thing happened in my Mazda6 at 2,000 miles. I thought it was the MRCC being dirty with bugs as I cleaned it and the lights went away and it's never happened again. Even the check engine light came off.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    I find Corollas to be extremely dangerous; whenever I've driven one I've nearly died of boredom...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• pumaman1pumaman1 Member Posts: 3
    So, this post ends in an update will be posted, and no update regarding this problem has been posted. As this relates to ownership expense and or frustration, please post the update soon.
  • blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    UPDATE NEEDED !!
  • markle977markle977 Member Posts: 1
    FIXED: I had a similar experience. My 2014 Mazda 3 i grand touring was only a month old when suddenly the nav system failed to come on. I pulled the fuse and it started working again. One morning a few weeks later when I tried to start it the engine was making horrible noises, and a bunch of wearing lights came on. I got it towed to the dealership and they found the problem: mice had chewed through the wiring harness. 
    I never had this problem with previous cars. I suspect it has something to do with the shield over the engine. I was extremely happy that it wasn't a factory defect. Now I just need a plan to keep the little buggers out of my electrical system.