Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

We completed our routine testing of the 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 and parked it. Twenty minutes later this video was all it could muster.

Read the full story here

Comments

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I've seen enough catastrophic failures at track days at ACS that I'm surprised there's a tow truck driver in the area who HASN'T towed a car out of there.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    "I haven't had one of these before," he laughed.... because no poser in a CL65 has actually ever been on a racetrack before.

Seriously, this thing is going to make the Ferrari experience seem downright Toyota-like.
  • Igor KaganIgor Kagan Member Posts: 30
    Yup, you will soon know all the MB tow truck drivers by name.
    Ask me how I know...
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    You sure it's not just a dead battery? That massive 6.0-liter, V12 takes an enormous amount of energy to fire up. Of course, that wouldn't explain the violent shaking. Perhaps an ignition coil failed? That is a common weak point on V12 MBs.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    That's a really weird noise...
  • skibirdskibird Member Posts: 14
    Based on my family's Mercedes experience (albeit V6s and V8s), the answer is always crank position sensor.
  • tjk291tjk291 Member Posts: 1
    LOL, German JUNK.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    i can't wait for the end of the year tally on repair costs for this thing.
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    Oh, the joy of owning a V12 Benz...
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Have them check the oil consumption while they are at it.
  • hoseclamphoseclamp Member Posts: 13
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Just pull the dipstick and take a look at the oil level. Oh yeah, it doesn't have a dipstick.
    Check the dwell on the points. Oh yeah, it doesn't have points.
    Seriously now, she sounds like an ignition situation. You hear that sucking sound?
    That's your cash flying out of your pocket.
  • cl65amgdrivercl65amgdriver Member Posts: 4
    Gentlemen. I own a 2005 CL65 exactly like the one you have. Same color, same condition. Mine thankfully is covered under a bumper to bumper warranty. I have been experiencing the same hard start, rough idle situation after the engine gets warm. It's been to the dealer, Rocklin Mercedes a few times in an attempt to repair. In fact, in just one year they have completed over $15,000 worth of repairs to the car and are getting to know it well. The joke is that with a set ofiston rings, I'll have a new engine.
    I would be most interested in knowing what causes this rough idle. The dealer found that my fuel pump and controller are bad, I'm not convinced this is the remedy. I'll be anxious to see your fix.
    As for oil burn, most of the 65 series cars consume a quart every 500 to 700 miles. It's the nature of the beast. I have two, the before mentioned 05 Cl65 and a 2012 S65. Call me a glutton for punishment, thank god for warranties.
    I must say in all fairness, when my 5000 pound coupe or sedan blows another more recognized exotic off the line, I can't quite put a price on the smile I enjoy.
    Apply for higher credit limits on the Visa card now, you'll certainly need it.
    Kurt
    Leardriver1@netzero.com
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    "Call me a glutton for punishment..."

Kurt, you are a glutton for punishment. Perhaps it's time to try a Bentley.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    That strange sound reminds me of what no compression sounds like. But since this is a V12, it normally cranks very smoothly so what sounds like compression strokes (slowing down the starter) may instead be sparse ignition events. Hope it's ignition not anything with the bottom end (or head gasket). I dunno, I'm really down on the whole German philosophy of adding more and more complexity and getting it all to work, as if that's the accomplishment. Actual engineering achievement is making more with less.
    @bankerdanny, Oh God that would be like moving from South Sudan to Syria hoping for a more peaceful living situation. I have some business associates who have owned multiple Bentleys and Rollers and they are no better, and in fact probably worse. Stunning
    @bankerdanny, Oh God that would be like moving from South Sudan to Syria hoping for a more peaceful living situation. I have some business associates who have owned multiple Bentleys and Rollers and they are no better, and in fact probably worse. Stunning
  • se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott (Star Trek 3).
  • se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott (Star Trek 3).
  • blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    I feel an upcoming DIY project: small block Chevy swap!
  • blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    I feel an upcoming DIY project: small block Chevy swap!
  • aquineas_aquineas_ Member Posts: 6
    Ruh-roh. It didn't sound that bad in the video, but that shuddering part beforehand sounds ominous.
    Ruh-roh. It didn't sound that bad in the video, but that shuddering part beforehand sounds ominous.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Did Edmunds have trouble like this with their 2002 Corvette? Don't think so and they drove it like they stole it. This a really horrible car and it is not a high mileage vehicle. This is when fanboys state that the CL65 AMG is a rare exotic and these kind of problems are expected. Bull*&$+. The 2002 Corvette ZO6 was also a rare car, only a few made a year, and the engine is hand built.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Did Edmunds have trouble like this with their 2002 Corvette? Don't think so and they drove it like they stole it. This a really horrible car and it is not a high mileage vehicle. This is when fanboys state that the CL65 AMG is a rare exotic and these kind of problems are expected. Bull*&$+. The 2002 Corvette ZO6 was also a rare car, only a few made a year, and the engine is hand built.
    lol blueprint1 I had the exact same thought!
    lol blueprint1 I had the exact same thought!
    allthingshonda, the LS6 (C5 Z06) was not hand built like the LS7 (C6 Z06) and LS9 (C6 ZR1). But let's not discount the LS6. It made over 400hp with a single cam, no variable ANYTHING, in a package weighing less than 400 lbs (without manifolds or clutch) and that can fit inside engine bays designed only for 4 cylinder engines, that can get nearly 30mpg in a Corvette (and 26mpg in my CTS-V). As far as replacing the 6.0L bi-turbo V12 in this AMG, I'd have to assume the LS9 would do a marvelous job of pushing the big Benz around. A little more hp, but less torque. One cam, no variable anything. Just good engineering. Without a doubt more reliable and easier to work on.
    allthingshonda, the LS6 (C5 Z06) was not hand built like the LS7 (C6 Z06) and LS9 (C6 ZR1). But let's not discount the LS6. It made over 400hp with a single cam, no variable ANYTHING, in a package weighing less than 400 lbs (without manifolds or clutch) and that can fit inside engine bays designed only for 4 cylinder engines, that can get nearly 30mpg in a Corvette (and 26mpg in my CTS-V). As far as replacing the 6.0L bi-turbo V12 in this AMG, I'd have to assume the LS9 would do a marvelous job of pushing the big Benz around. A little more hp, but less torque. One cam, no variable anything. Just good engineering. Without a doubt more reliable and easier to work on.
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    OK, now the thought of ever buying another high end used car is starting to scare me...
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    OK, now the thought of ever buying another high end used car is starting to scare me...
  • goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    Consuming a quart every 500 and calling it the nature of the beast sounds exactly like what Jeep Wrangler owners call rattles and squeaks on a brand new vehicle, "oh its a Jeep, you wouldn't understand it" I own a 2012 Wrangler, the seat creaks and the passenger door started squeaking yesterday but I still love that thing. So I kinda understand Kurt.
  • goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    Consuming a quart every 500 and calling it the nature of the beast sounds exactly like what Jeep Wrangler owners call rattles and squeaks on a brand new vehicle, "oh its a Jeep, you wouldn't understand it" I own a 2012 Wrangler, the seat creaks and the passenger door started squeaking yesterday but I still love that thing. So I kinda understand Kurt.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Once upon a time German engineering was lauded. Now it's laughed at.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Once upon a time German engineering was lauded. Now it's laughed at.
  • miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    greenpony, this car is a [non-permissible content removed] from a low-point in the MB timeline. When development on this generation S/CL class was underway, Lexus was eating MB profits for breakfast (not in sales totals, but in profit per-unit). The S before this was SO over-engineered they sold well for almost a decade, at just under $100K a pop, and still never turned a profit. Heads rolled, jobs were lost and a "western thinking" CEO was brought in. His first move was to cut 1/3 from this cars development budget and increase profits by using the lowest bidding suppliers for parts. He was famously quoted saying something to the likes of "The Mercedes star is its biggest asset. People wont care about the quality as long as it has the star...at least long enough to sell the car." This was MB first attempt at engineering a car to a "price point" and not a "quality point", and happened to coincide with there pioneering move to fully multiplexed, electronic vehicle networks. It didnt take long for this to catch up to MB and he was soon replaced, but not before the damage to MBs quality reputation had been done. MB has been back in the quality game for a few years now, but it takes a few generation of cars to convince people of a quality increase (ask Cadillac!). And, cars like this one are still out there poisoning opinions. 1999-2007 were rough years for MB products, but the "lauded" engineering is fully back in swing.
  • miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    greenpony, this car is a [non-permissible content removed] from a low-point in the MB timeline. When development on this generation S/CL class was underway, Lexus was eating MB profits for breakfast (not in sales totals, but in profit per-unit). The S before this was SO over-engineered they sold well for almost a decade, at just under $100K a pop, and still never turned a profit. Heads rolled, jobs were lost and a "western thinking" CEO was brought in. His first move was to cut 1/3 from this cars development budget and increase profits by using the lowest bidding suppliers for parts. He was famously quoted saying something to the likes of "The Mercedes star is its biggest asset. People wont care about the quality as long as it has the star...at least long enough to sell the car." This was MB first attempt at engineering a car to a "price point" and not a "quality point", and happened to coincide with there pioneering move to fully multiplexed, electronic vehicle networks. It didnt take long for this to catch up to MB and he was soon replaced, but not before the damage to MBs quality reputation had been done. MB has been back in the quality game for a few years now, but it takes a few generation of cars to convince people of a quality increase (ask Cadillac!). And, cars like this one are still out there poisoning opinions. 1999-2007 were rough years for MB products, but the "lauded" engineering is fully back in swing.
  • kamakurakid_kamakurakid_ Member Posts: 6
    Over under repairs running 6K by 2014? I for one am thrilled with the way this vehicle is going so far, keeps me from pondering a same purchase. What vehicle can you lease for $500 a month?
  • kamakurakid_kamakurakid_ Member Posts: 6
    Over under repairs running 6K by 2014? I for one am thrilled with the way this vehicle is going so far, keeps me from pondering a same purchase. What vehicle can you lease for $500 a month?
    Damn, my LS6/LS9 post was lost. I volunteered the LS9 as an engine swap candidate. A bit more power but less torque. Probably a smaller and lighter engine. Just one cam, no variable valve timing. Yet it does what it does. I'm not really being serious about the engine swap but it's interesting to think about.
    Damn, my LS6/LS9 post was lost. I volunteered the LS9 as an engine swap candidate. A bit more power but less torque. Probably a smaller and lighter engine. Just one cam, no variable valve timing. Yet it does what it does. I'm not really being serious about the engine swap but it's interesting to think about.
  • cl65amgdrivercl65amgdriver Member Posts: 4
    The start issues turn out to be fuel boiling in the fuel rails. MB corrected with boosting fuel pressure at start up. MB fabricated a replacement harness and relay to be installed inline with the existing fuel electrical system. A new fuel pump and filter as well.
    I had a very similar issue with a Mustang GT500 some years back. Vapor lock in the fuel rails.