Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Our twin-turbo V12-powered long-term 2005 Mercedes CL65 AMG is using oil. About a quart every 1,000 miles.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    is the V12 knonw for using oil? This seems excessive even for a rotary! Former Rx-7 owner here.
  • Options
    gtulleygtulley Member Posts: 5
    There has to be something wrong with the sensor. My oil level hasnt budged in 4000 miles.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    "Remember, this Mercedes does not have a dipstick." . . . . Except the driver! ;)
  • Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Definitely a lot of oil for a 4 or 6 banger, but maybe the 12 burns a lot more. Anybody know?
  • Options
    Did they check the level, which has to be done with the engine off, instead of taking a pic while doing 60mph somewhere potentially getting a bogus message?? This engine does not burn that amount of oil. Something is amiss.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I wrote this in the last oil post, but these early M275-equipped AMGs burn a LOT of oil. Owner forums report standard consumption of about 1 quart every 1500 miles.
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    Not only is it a gaz guzzler, but an oil guzzler too.
  • Options
    miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    This thing is drinking a LOT of oil. Ive seen M275s consume a qt every 2-3K, but this does seem excessive. Ive heard of them drinking this much, just never seen it. A 16-year-old must have broken this motor in...
  • Options
    ayaoayao Member Posts: 27
    FYI you can get a 5 quart jug of the M1 0W-40 at Wal-Mart for < $30, the same cost as all the other M1 grades.
  • Options
    iloveyogapantsiloveyogapants Member Posts: 20
    "Remember, this Mercedes does not have a dipstick." . . . . Except the driver! ;)

Correction: "Remember, this Mercedes does not have a dipstick." . . . . Except the OWNER!" :)
  • Options
    Surprised they haven't drained it and measured the amount...sounds like a fun project for the crew.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    The dealer will inevitably tell you this sort of oil consumption is normal. The VW dealer told me the same thing when my 02 30V V6 Passat was burning oil every 1000 miles, and it only had 30k on it. You're out of luck. Who builds an engine without a dipstick? If you blow it up due to overfilling, M-B won't help you.
  • Options
    barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    At this rate, why even bother changing the oil, just change the filter occasionally.
  • Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Upon reading this, I just thought to myself how a private purchaser would deal with this? "Car drinks oil at a near-incredible rate, but maybe some expensive sensor is the problem and I'm drowning my crankcase in oil. And I already have spent a bunch of money on the hydraulic and other symptoms, and I've put 6,000 miles on it. Oh, and this one came from the Mercedes dealer, not some fly-by-night or a private seller trying to unload it." I don't know if it would be yet, but at some point not far off I'd envision a private owner dumping the car.