Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• hrowehrowe Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

VSaks, looks like this message of yours was posted a while ago...but did you buy the
    02 X5 you were looking for?

thx

hr
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .was in the new Car and Driver magazine, page 91, as I recall. The new X5 looks EXACTLY like the X3 -- in fact the graphic showed the X5 with the current X3's 18" wheel design from the sport package option.

The X5 depicted did have full body color bumpers, however, unlike the X3 without the optional body cladding.

My dealer claims the X3 gets the 255HP engine. Also claims that the X3 will get the full body color bumpers too and an "upgrade" to the interior ("something like, making the premium/sport interior the 'standard' interior and having an upgrade also available" -- i.e., movin' on up.)

I didn't ask about the X5's upcoming features and options, but the dealer said the new X5 will have the look of a 110+% [scale] X3 since the X3 represents the "newest" look of the SAV family. The dealer is on BMW's dealer council and is a frequent visitor to BMW in Munich.

This may or may not make his statements have more credibility -- and I certainly don't think he would intentionally mislead.

He did say that his personal vehicle was a maxed out, body cladded, X3, because it was "bigger" than the X5. He quickly added that the X5 got the tax break, and that the X5 3.0's were very popular for that reason. He did venture too that he thought the X5 with the 3.0 was under-engined.

If I stepped back about 15 feet, squinted my eyes and put a finger in one ear, perhaps some of his statements would lead one to conclude that the X5 gets the 255HP 3.0 -- I sure hope so. The current 225HP 3.0 is "on the edge" even in the X3 -- unless you have the stick shift version.

Take this with or without a grain of salt.

Also take a look at the X5 in Car and Driver and tell me if you hadn't seen the caption you wouldn't swear it was an X3.

Drive it like you live. :shades:
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Well, dealer called and said they just put in my order for my new X5. Should be here sometime in August. I got black on black. I sure hope it looks ok. On top of this, i sure hope they pass the tax break for this year!
  • h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    On BMW USA site, I don't see 2006 X5 in the list. Are they going to stop offering it as standard following footsteps of Mercedez?

Anyone has any insight?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I might have misread something but check this link:

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X5/30i/warranty.htm
  • h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    I was referring to the Full Maintenance that is standard offering. If you click on http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X5/30i/HighlightDetail.htm and then on BMW Full Maintenance link, they list all the vehicles that have Full Maintenance as a standard offering. I did not see 2006 X5 listed in there.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Check this link. It says Full Maintenance standard on all new BMWs. I see what you are referring to, but I'm not sure why the X3/X5 weren't included.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X5/30i/programs.htm?PanelID=4
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This article says BMW is retaining all full maintenance programs for '05 and '06:

Detroit News

Steve, Host
  • donald6donald6 Member Posts: 1
    I have read in Consumer Reports (April 2005) that 2001 BMW X5's have below normal reliability in general - but especially in the electrical and power equipment areas. I own a X5 2001 and am wondering whether or not to extend my warranty for another 4 years - or 75K miles - whichever comes first. Currently, I have 39K miles on this SUV. The cost of the extended warranty is approx. $2600.

Can anyone tell me if they think it is a good idea to buy the extended warranty at this price? What is your experience with a 2001 X5? Any help from knowledgeable people would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Don
  • holdenout4lesholdenout4les Member Posts: 11
    I'm shopping both of these SUVs and would like to know a little more about them than I can get from a couple of test drives. How's the X5 long-term (aside from gas mileage, which neither has as a strong point)? I'm coming out of a German sedan, so I'm leaning toward the X5, but I've also read that it can be choppy on the road. (My off-roading, like most of us, is limited; I need it for kids and occasional construction site visits.)

Thanks!
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    well since youre moving from a german sedan i can tell you the ride is just the typical bmw firmness...that is if you skip the sport package and 19" wheels, and i can also tell you that the fx isnt any softer, actually imo its even firmer than the bmw since it comes standard w/ sport suspension. if you want the fx you really need to skip the 20" wheels, the ride gets harsh as hell...

hope it helps
  • kirbykirby Member Posts: 9
    Can anybody advise what colors BMW offers in the X5 headliner fabric for the non-sport package? Is it just the light gray and light beige? I have the truffle brown interior and the headliner is gray. Seems like it should be black, but a salesman said the only way you get black (anthracyte) is with the sport package.
    Any insights would be appreciated.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    as far as i know in US only grey and beige headliner are available for non-sp x5s, unless you make a special order. whats odd is truffle brown interior is supposed to come standard with headliner in the same color, im planning to order pastel green interior and it comes w/ patel green headliner also. id suggest you to ask them again, if they insist on giving you grey ones you might wanna check another dealer.
  • safeperfsnowsusafeperfsnowsu Member Posts: 16
    I love my x5 (even though it is only 3.0 it is still a goer especially with the tip tronic gear shifter) but I have moved to boston where the roads are almost as old as the city and are very bumpy. The commute is getting to be a bit much as well as the fact that my x5 has virtually no lateral support so you have to work to stay in your seat around corners.

I looked at all the other SUV's out there and none have the performance that I found in the X5 and was considering moving down to a sedan (7 series) but before I do was wondering if the newer x5's have a more comfortable feel to them than the 2003 an if the comfort seats are that much better than the standard leather?

The luxury seats in the 7 series are just phenomenal, too bad they are not offered in the X5!
  • bigdwarfbigdwarf Member Posts: 2
    In the final throes of deciding between the RRS and X5 (and offroading is not high on the priority list). The way I see it is that the RRS, while offering a wide range of features at a price a bit below the X5, is a new model from a company that is known for its off-roading prowess. Whereas, the X5 is at the mature end of its life-cycle (and I'm assuming the forthcoming new model is not going to make me feel totally ridiculous for buying now) and 100% reliable.
    Any insights or views on either vehicle would be most helpful. :confuse:
    I have the 2005 x5 and the seats are very comfortable. I have the premium and it feels much better then my 01 3 series seats. But if you want support, have you tried the sports seats?
    x5 is unbelievable.
  • someguy1someguy1 Member Posts: 42
    Hey All,

I am hoping to get people's experiences with X5's(3.0) and Gas Mileage on Highways. It would ultimately be a commuter car for me and I am on a budget. I spend 95% of my time on the highway.

Car anyone help me with real expectations for highways mileage.

Thanks,
    KA
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    My Dad has an '04 X5 3.0iA with Sport Package. Since Feb '04 he has done about 35,000 miles. He does 90% highway driving. He gets a solid 20mpg on virtually every tank. osme takes are 19.5, and some are 21.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• luvbmwluvbmw Member Posts: 1
    I am on my third X5...needless to say I love them. My 2005 has the truffle brown interior. I just walked outside and checked the headliner, it is beige.
  • burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    We just purchased a CPO 2003 X5 4.4i, 18,000 miles. Love the car, but noticed that after a car wash or driving in rain, the rear passenger-side carpet is soaked. There are no leaks around the door, so it seems to me that water is coming in from below. Any others experience this? Any solutions? I plan to call the local dealer tomorrow. Thanks.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    If it's under warranty (since it's 2003 with 18k miles, it's probably still the original factory warranty), then just take it to your BMW Center and they'll take care of it....
  • jtdetailjtdetail Member Posts: 2
    hello

so i have in the past owned 94 and also 97 740i. i have just ordered my frist x54.4i white/truffel sp,prem,cold pakg,and nav. belive it or not i didentt even test drive the truck.just figured it would be awsom just like my other bmw. can anybody tell what to expect out of this sav.

thanks for your input
  • pantaleonepantaleone Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone gottern the iPod adapter installed? How does it work? Any advice to me as I research/schedule getting this for my X5?

Thank you
  • madx5ownermadx5owner Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an 2006 X5 4.4i with the premium sound package and am incredibly underwhelmed with the quality of the sound the sound system produces. You have to set the bass, treble and equalizer settings to their max to get anything close to decent sound out of the system, which is still underwhelming. I traded up from a 2002 X5 3.0 with the premium sound package which clearly sounded better. I'm am getting nowhere working directly the dealer and BMW North America to get this problem addressed. Anyone have any suggestions or similar experience with their X5 ? All of the service techs agree the sound system sounds wimpy but no action yet after nearly a month of owning the vehicle. For nearly 60 grand - I expected a better product and service from the dealer and BMW.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Have you tried listening to another X5 with premium sound? Is it a "model issue" or specific to your car?
    Thanks for the reply. Well that's what the BMW tech engineers (New Jersey and Germany) are apparently trying to figure out...the particular dealer had no other 06 X5s on the lot, but we did listen to other year models on the lot (4.4's with premium sound) and they all sounded a lot better. The open question is whether something got changed (downgraded) in the 06 model. And that, quite frankly, makes no sense. Why can't the company answer that question quickly. I certainly would have taken pause about buying the vehicle had I known. Nothing in the literature about car suggested that the sound system wouldn't be the same or better than in my 02 X5 3.0. Bad assumption I guess.
  • jtdetailjtdetail Member Posts: 2
    hello

i have just picked up my new x5.as have posted befor i wanted to know what to expect from this sav.well let me just say that this sav is just out of this world. :) i mean it has just blow me me away .in every aspect of this sav is by far the most exciting bmw i have owned .and i have is the past owned a 94 and 97 740i.i sold the 97 befor taking ownership of the x5.there is nothing that is a disappointment and i mean nuthing .i am just in haven.the handaling ,breaking ,streeing,and relay fast. just beyond my widest .i am soooooooo happy with this x5 that i think i on a cloud 9 .thanks :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    It doesn't seem like you need an answer, because the X5 is everything YOU expected, and then some. If it weren't for the fact that a new X5 is due in a year's time, the 4.4 would also be the BMW I would lust after.
  • skim2skim2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 X5 4.4 Sport with 19 inch wheels.

I want to install snow tires and was interested in getting 17 inch wheels. Does anyone know if the 4.4 Sport can take 17 inch wheels?

I wasn't sure if the brake rotors/calipers, etc were different for the 4.4 Sport from the 3.0 - which comes with 17 inch wheels standard.

Thanks -
  • leventesleventes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 BMW X5 4.4 with normal sound system. Can I upgrade the sound system? Has anyone of you tried?
    Thanks
  • islandman007islandman007 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 BMW X5 3.0i with 42K miles. I know I can take it to the local BMW dealership for service and repairs but they are very expensive (I had routine service done and it cost me $450). I was wondering what is the best way to find a certified BMW technician who could give me better labor rates than the BMW dealership technicians. Is this recommended? I live in the state of Maryland. Any advice for or against doing this would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Hans
  • littlebean00littlebean00 Member Posts: 6
    I had the IPOD adapter installed at BMW dealer. It works pretty good: much better quality sound than any FM transmitter, charges IPOD, can advance songs and change volume from the steering wheel controls or the radio controls. You have to set up 5 playlists called BMW1, BMW2, etc. and that's all it will play. You can change playlists from the radio buttons. The downsides: does not display song title on radio and you cannot control the IPOD when it is attached. I'm fairly happy with it -- but not sure it's worth $400.
  • littlebean00littlebean00 Member Posts: 6
    I do 90% city driving and 10% highway driving. I get a consistent 15 mpg.

2005 X5 3.0
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    Try looking in the Roundel magazine. I know there is a listing of independent BMW mechanics. I am sure you will find one up there. There are way too many BMWs not to have independent mechanics.

Personally, I use both the dealer and an independent BMW mechanic. I'll go to the dealer for any scheduled maintenance since it is free. But I also change my oil every 7500 miles and I take it the independent mechanic for that.

Stacy
  • chr12345uschr12345us Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 X5 4.4, with NAV and DSP (premium sound). Although it is very hard to believe this car does not have a CD player so I bought the factory 6 disc changer. The manual states that it will also play MP3 and WMA files and display "audiotext" for these files. My changer does not play those discs (burned several discs with different compressions and formats), it will play regular CDs but with MP3 or WMA I get just a piercing sound of a binary data stream. It does not report any errors (reading the CD) and it will even fast forward. To me (as a computer consultant for many years) this is either an installation problem or a software bug or this is not possible with DSP. Anybody has this problem ?
    This is way above the dealer's technical expertise and I can not find a BMW technical contact anywhere.
    Update - well the BMW NA technicians finally resolved the problem. Replaced amplifier and six disc changer the system now works properly. Not sure why it took so much time.

Also found out that the IPOD adapter doesn't work with the premium sound sytem. It also works in the same port as the 6 disc changer, so it's one or the other if you don't have premium sound (which makes sense I guess - if you use the IPOD you don't need a 6 disc changer).

So - if you want to use your IPOD - don't buy premium sound. An IPOD is of course way cheaper - premium sound is $1200 and definitely not worth the money considering the speaker package you get.
    I have the same vehicle without NAV - and have been able to play discs both with MP3 and WMA files. This capability is important since you can't use the IPOD adapter with premium sound.

You might have an amplifier problem. I would insist that the dealer replace the amp - and if that doesn't work - replace both the amp and CD player until it works. It is supposed to work. Make sure they consult a BMW NA tech if the dealer service techs can't get it work.
    If you have premium sound - the adapter doesn't work. You also have to ditch your 6 disc changer if you have one.
    Agreed that the 06 X5 4.4 is pretty neat to drive (having traded up from a 3 liter) - once you get past any flaws or issues encountered with your purchase. I hear the 07 will be a much bigger vehicle. Not seen any comment on other goodies. For me - the 06 is big enough.

However - lusting is a sin ! (grin) It sometimes causes you to leap too early. If you're at all inclined to leap, secondary to lust -I'd suggest you not pre-order - really do your research - and not hand over cash until you get to see, touch, feel and test drive - test drive - test drive !
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    My X5 is about 9500 miles and just past a year mark and have not done any scheduled services yet. From the console, my car still has two green bars but I am concerned about this. Can I take my car for the first service or do I need to wait until all the green bars are gone?
    After the first year, you should take it in for a free oil change. They will not reset your maintance interval on this service.
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    Yes I get the same mileage, and mostly Australian 16-17 litre per 100kms. for mainly city running.
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    My X5 is only 12 month old,17000km and always garaged. the sunroof startd to leak ,water through the sunroof operating switch and the microphone. BMW dealer seems to know about this as they are "replacing my seals with the upgraded seals"
    Also the inner ring of steering wheel where the cruise buttons are, is wearing down to the silver base material, just about where thumbs rest, poor qualiaty material me thinks.Anybody else with similar problem
  • yagit1yagit1 Member Posts: 11
    This is exactly what is happening with my 2002 X-5 3.0. I bot it in 2002 and and had to replace the battery twice. Service manager said that X-5s if left idle for more than 5 days will drain the battery and suggested that i buy a trickle charger. My car was towed twice and i have to call road assistance for more than 5 times because of battery issues. I just spoke with the service manager last nite and have not bot that trickle charger. Does that work wonders for you?
  • pattyo1pattyo1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm about to buy an x5.. I live at 7000 ft., drive to the ski hill 3-4 times/week.. i don't want a huge car, and the x5 manual is the most fun for zipping up the switchbacks.. I am concerned re it's ability in fairly deep snow and ice on steep mountain roads and highways.. Since it's designed for the Alps, I believed it would be.. but i want to hear from someone who's been there... Any feedback??
    Thanks!!
  • singh09singh09 Member Posts: 2
    A NJ dealer is offering a new 2006 BMW X5 3.0 with Premium, Convenience, Cold Weather packages, Xenon lamps, plus navigation for the following: $2,650 due at inception, $577.00 monthly payments. I am a first-time leasee, and car buyer for that matter. From what little I know, I think I should be happy with thes. Any input is appreciated...THANK YOU.
  • chr12345uschr12345us Member Posts: 12
    I've got (in NJ) 2006 X5 4.4, fully loaded except heated rear seats and 2 axle level suspension, MSRP about 62500 for 779/mo plus 750 TOATAL out of pocket for 36 mo / 12k/year.
    This is not a story, I've been driving it for a month.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I hope you enjoy your new X5. My sister has an 04 model that looks to be identical to yours option-wise and I love that truck. I drive it any chance I get. Your transaction appears to be about normal I think. My sister had to pay about $2200 and her payments are about $550 a month.
  • pusher1668pusher1668 Member Posts: 2
    you can install an input jack in the glove compartment for about $150 from the dealer. this would allow you to plug anything into your premium sound system...i.e. ipod, portable tape player, mp3 player, lap top computer,portable dvd player etc. this is done via the earphone/speaker jacks from these sources. true that you lose the convenience of selecting tracks etc but you can still control volume via steering wheel