Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Transmission in our 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250.

Read the full story here

Comments

• iodeiode Member Posts: 5
    I've actually experienced exactly what you're describing. From a standstill, sometimes the car doesn't seem to know the definition of briskly starting from stop, sometimes it crawls, and when you push a little more, it spins its wheels and lurches. At first, I felt really anxious because I thought the transmission was slipping and it would involve lengthy repairs to an otherwise extremely new car. I just broke the "1000 mile break-in period" of easy driving before attempting more spirited driving, so I haven't tried Sport mode yet, but using Manual mode is much more of the same inconsistent lurchniness, especially when downshifting for engine braking at lower speeds.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Even VW's otherwise excellent DSG has a very lurchy creep calibration and requires far more throttle input than you'd use with a conventional automatic or 3 pedal manual. DSGs are fantastic far enthusiastic driving and cruising, but stop-and-go stuff is definitely their Achilles heel.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Hence the continued widespread use of the venerable torque-converter automatic + lockup.
  • case50case50 Member Posts: 1
    I am driving at the moment a E350 CGI Coupe.. But will have a CLA 250 in just a few days/week or so. The E350 is also a low reacting Mercedes with the paddles (has no stop and go), but I learned (to react and play with time: seconds) to use the paddles to be sure I was able to slow down before traffic lights and steep mountain hills for example.. and to accelerate in no time to my desired speed again. I'll react to this forum special to the CLA Stop and Go once I've experienced how the CLA reacts to 'my commands'.. Kees. The Netherlands
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Here's a really good reason to make sure you take a long test drive under the conditions you will normally drive a car. I know Edmunds had to have one for a the long term test, so it didn't matter for them. This would drive me nuts.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Creeping in LA style traffic is the downfall of most DSG systems. As for what Mark described about doing a three-point turn, get used to left foot braking.
  • brian913brian913 Member Posts: 1
    Coming from an Acura TSX, this transmission DOES take some getting-use-to. Mine seems more "lurchy" when cold and in Economy mode. The Sport mode is much better but not as smooth as the Acura. I do understand that the DCT transmission has this characteristic though, and most of my driving is not stop-and-go so it is not a big problem except on a few occasions when it forgets where it's at. I suspect the Mercedes will find a way to upgrade the transmission computer and maybe reflash the ones on the market now. It does detract a bit though. I understand Audi does a better job with the DTC.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    This sounds utterly horrible. I'm not sold on these transmissions at all. Very expensive to replace, and for all the "automation" I still don't get the right-now feel of a conventional torque converter automatic when I punch the throttle. I don't really see the point. Either let me row my own, or just keep refining torque converter automatics.