Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

Comments

• jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Better get the extended warranty.
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    I agree with jlaszlo. 6 months after the warranty ends, the trick WON'T fix it and it'll be a multi-thousand dollar fix.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    This actually isn't that uncommon and can happen to any MB equipped with COMAND. Basically, COMAND has a PIN associated with it that has to match the VIN of the vehicle. At start up the car cross-checks the two to make sure that the system hasn't been tampered with. It is possible for there to be a delay in that process which causes the COMAND execution to timeout and this error message displays. I don't think I have ever read of it happening more than once on a car that is entirely OEM. Regardless, all you have to do is hold down the COMAND power button for 10 seconds and it clears the message.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    "This actually isn't that uncommon and can happen to any MB equipped with COMAND." ---- Hmm, then perhaps they should actually fix the glitch rather than just going "that's normal"
    @zimtheinvader, it's not like this is a widespread problem. It happens to maybe 1% of their cars. My point was simply that it can happen to any MB, this isn't something specific to the CLA. Random, purely digital issues like this are extremely hard to dia
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Save your cash, forget the security option & buy "The Club". The steering wheel locking device from the 80's. Beats the hell out of zillion dollar electrical gremlin.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    "It's worth noting that Audi, BMW, and even Lexus can all have the same thing happen."

But it shouldn't considering how long Mercedes has been using COMAND. IL has tested many, many BMW's and I don't remember iDrive failing to startup on any of them. My Acura is 6 years old the Navi system also requires a PIN to be entered if the anti theft is activated. I've only seen that screen when the battery died and had to be replaced.
  • ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37
    I just want to read one post where we can just make fun of the car without Mercedesfan having to explain why the car does what it does..
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Just take it to the dealer. I'm sure they have plenty of tape from last time to fix this too!
  • gillergiller Member Posts: 9
    Mercedesfan is right and one of the only intelligent posters here. If the intention is to bash the car at every opportunity, then this forum is a complete waste of time. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Every car has it's faults, the CLA is no exception. If you want to throw stones, then please let us know what's in your driveway.....
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @giller: I'm not sure why you're questioning the intelligence of the posters here, is anyone wrong exactly in their assessment? So far the CLA250 has required one wiring harness repair (meaning that the team who did the underhood layout didn't do their jo
    @allthingshonda, That is a small sample size and thus not really relevant. Take a look at all the automotive publications that have ever reviewed or long-term tested an MB with COMAND and you won't find mention of this anywhere. However, go to a forum and
    @duck87, I totally agree with that assessment. I think the CLA in particular needs to prove itself reliable. It is the most basic and attainable MB on the road and doesn't have the "complicated engineering" excuse for when something goes wrong.
  • salman002salman002 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, what key cycle did you use? can u elaborate a bit please?