Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

A check engine light appeared on the instrument panel of our 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250, but is it a fluke?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Let the hating begin!
  • Options
    exnevadan_exnevadan_ Member Posts: 25
    more importantly, how's the convertible top holding up?
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    My wife's old R230 SL500 had a very similar issue early on. Turned out to be nothing and just required a software update, but a huge pain before it was diagnosed (CELs randomly every few days do not give a lot of confidence). Hopefully a similar update will remedy the CLA. I sure hope it doesn't end up having all the reliability issues our SL did in the long term. That would be very bad indeed for MB. Particularly since they have worked so hard to get their quality ratings back up in recent years.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Why do German cars have so many electrical issues, anyway?
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @noburgers: Well reliability usually comes from simplicity and extensive testing. If you've got a luxury european car, complexity is usually higher, which along with that segment's focus on new, cutting edge (in automotive applications) technology will co
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Just read some of the comment over on the CLA forum. What I don't get is why with all the testing the manufacturers do these days how 5-10% of a new model can display this behaviour. Strikes me that some of the testing is TOO controlled. Trust me, if you think American control freaks are bad, try working with one from Germany.
  • Options
    jeroxjerox Member Posts: 1
    I have had the P24D6 error code two times on my 2014 B250 (same platform). I don't know if this can have an effect, but in both cases it was just after filling up tank with an unusual gas supplier: the first time at costco, the second time a small old-style countryside gas station.
  • Options
    casman6casman6 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, my 2014 CLA250 just joined the check engine light club. I took it in on May 12th, and dealer called today to say they can not figure what the problem is. Vehicle not accepting the software and code updates. They said they are opening up a case file on the vehicle and consulting with the Main office for tech support. Hope everything will work out, we love our CLA250.
  • Options
    mdrameshmdramesh Member Posts: 1
    Hello, my 2014 CLA 250 also joined this club!!! Happened just yesterday, Jan 15. Called in the dealer (Natick, MA). Will keep you posted.
  • Options
    joecla250joecla250 Member Posts: 1
    New 2017 cla 250 joining the engine light family just hit a 1K and light is on was a little cold this morning but nothing to bad -7. Car also sounded a little rough during warmup but is fine now but light is still on. Gas cap is tight last fill up almost 2 weeks ago. Not impressed
  • Options
    walter_cla250walter_cla250 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, My wife's 25-th anniversary car (2014 CLA250) also failed the emission test today, and after some web search and youtube video reviews, plus final confession from my wife after I explained what P24D6 EVAP means, it all started to make sense. Apparently, many people like my wife like to TOP-OFF the gasoline as much as possible. This old-fashion mentality is exactly opposite of what Mercedes EVAP system is designed for to allow 0.5 PSI gas tank over pressure or -1 PSI gas tank vacuum, causing the EVAP sensor to report out of range values to the computer and subsequently fail the emission test. So, buy an OBDII scanner and reset ALL data and drive for 8+ days and re-check with the scanner. Make sure you stop this hill-billy mentality of over filling your gas tank to prevent future problems with EVAP system. Hope this is helpful to some people wondering why the engine light keeps showing up from time to time and why emission tests keep failing. For those that are pinching pennies, and don’t want to buy a $20-$120 OBDII scanner, you can remove the battery Ground terminal for 15+ minutes to wipe out the accumulated computer data and then stop over filling the gas tank and drive for 8+ days and see if the engine lights keeps coming back or not. Good Luck to you all.
  • Options
    samjasonsamjason Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2020
    got the similar code P24D8 -(EVAP Sensor Circuit B HIGH) unable to find any concrete info online about this - Can anyone chime in and update how you guys resolved the EVAP (check engine light ) issue ?

Any idea where the EVAP Sensor is located near the gas tank ?
  • Options
    mdramesh said:

Hello, my 2014 CLA 250 also joined this club!!! Happened just yesterday, Jan 15. Called in the dealer (Natick, MA). Will keep you posted.

Any update how you resolved this - I got a similar code P24D8 EVAP
  • Options
    casman6 said:

Hello, my 2014 CLA250 just joined the check engine light club. I took it in on May 12th, and dealer called today to say they can not figure what the problem is. Vehicle not accepting the software and code updates. They said they are opening up a case file on the vehicle and consulting with the Main office for tech support. Hope everything will work out, we love our CLA250.

Did it finally got resolved ? what happened ?