Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 doesn't have keyless entry, but is it available in another package?

Read the full story here

Comments

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    My (admittedly more plebeian) Focus has keyless entry. Sometimes rain or extreme cold (or my forgetting that I left the fob in the house) foil the process. But I too have gotten used to it, so when it's missing, it's an obvious oversight.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    I never thought I would, but yes, it's a must have now. I hate walking up to a car and having to dig around my pocket to get the keys out.
  • jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I had it on my '11 Jeep Overland and don't have it on my '12 F-150. I don't miss it since on my 2 minute walk out from work I have plenty of time to get my key out and unlock the door.
  • 330i_zhp330i_zhp Member Posts: 55
    Considering how cheap you can get some of those aftermarket Key Entry packages (albeit at the sacrifice of quality), I'm shocked that it isn't standard on any car over $20k. Every "luxury" car should have this, IMO.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    My Fiesta ST has keyless entry.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    i don't like sunroofs so that is not a dealbreaker for me and keyless entry i guess it depends on the price for 35k i guess not but considering that it is such an expensive car for a sub compact ( or is it just a compact?) it does seem like an oversight considering the numbers of cars that cost similer money (or much less) that have it. It wouldent be a dealbreaker for me because i'm not lazy but i can understand why somone would consider it a must have feature.

one of my only dealbreakers for me as far as cars are considered is heated side mirrors it is amazing the number of cars that don't have this simple feature! or how many cars bundle this simple feature in a very expensive all inclusive package that bundles it with a bunch of crap i don't want/need. i must be one of the only persons who enjoy a relatively spartan interior as long as the seats are comfy and i have a nice radio (again something that is usually bundled with junk) im pretty much set as far as technology/creature comforts are concerned.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    gloss, does the Focus ST have just regular keyless entry where you push a button on the fob to unlock the doors or is the advanced or (smart) setup where you just walk up with the fob in your pocket and the door unlocks when you grab the handle?
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @zimtheinvader: I don't know about the Focus, but my Dodge Journey has "Keyless enter & go", where you touch the handle to unlock, and push the button to start. So yeah, I would just naturally expect a Mercedes to have it (then again, Detr
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I also don't like sunroofs, so that is a non-issue for me. Keyless entry is nice, but lack thereof is not a deal breaker. I'll even take halogen lights with a decent beam pattern.
  • natt_natt_ Member Posts: 8
    I do miss having Keyless Entry feature and the push start button, but I gotta say Mercedes has the best looking key remote that I ever owned (from Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, and VW). It's like a jewelry to me.
  • ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    This is probably just my experience with it (on a rental Ford), but I didn't really enjoy keyless entry, as it got triggered when I was near the car but didn't want to enter (sitting outside at a restaurant). Which set me about to digging around for the key anyway. I'm pretty sure that it was working "as designed" but then the design wasn't great.

At another time, I found the unlocking didn't activate until just a hair AFTER I'd grabbed the handle and hit the lock resistance....which was its own annoyance.

So (for now), none of these items would be must haves for me in a 30K car. But this Mercedes probably wouldn't make the list anyway, as in my neck of the woods they are becoming the new Prius (you see them everywhere you look), and the styling is getting worse every time I look at it.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    I'll keep my steel keys please.
    @zimtheinvader - The Focus ST has the type with sensors in the handle, so it's able to detect the presence of your hand and unlock (if you're not too quick on the draw). It works fine in most circumstances, but can give me trouble in the rain/snow/ice, o
    @gloss - How do you like the Fiesta ST?
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    The CLA is a luxury car? Says who? Just because it has a star on the grill does not mean its a luxury car.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    You would think it would be a standard feature in most cars now. Its been around long enough thats for sure. Plus most fobs are electronic to the point where you no longer have to even hold a key anymore to start.