Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

The Mercedes-Benz CLA's back seat isn't only missing headroom. There isn't a rear center armrest, either.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    gillergiller Member Posts: 9
    This is for US models only. My Canadian CLA has both a rear center armrest and folding side mirrors. Not sure the decision by MB on that one.....aside from the fact it's also 4k more up North (don't try and justify that with exchange rates either ;)
  • Options
    se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    It's called cost cutting. Notice that there isn't a height adjustable rear headrest either.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    My butt hurts just looking at those exposed LATCH anchors. That has the be the cheapest looking, carelessly designed LATCH setup I have ever seen. That wouldn't be acceptable in a Mitsubishi Mirage. And out of curiosity I just checked the Mirage and its LATCH anchors are marginally better concealed.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @stovt001, I would imagine you don't even notice them. If they really were that bad I can't imagine that both Audi and BMW would also use the exact same design in their entry-level offerings.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    My 2011 GTI has those LATCH anchors also, and you don't even notice them, because that part of the seatback is recessed. They are super-easy to use, they look very well-finished and much better than the hole-cut-with-a-steak-knife ones that the LT Subaru Impreza, for example, came with. However, my GTI DOES have adjustable-height rear headrests and it does have a center armrest that has cupholders in it, and it also has a large pass-through to the cargo area.
  • Options
    gillergiller Member Posts: 9
    Your comment on the GTI is an interesting one. I love that car. I had a 2010, then moved to a 2012 Volvo S60, now a CLA. In many ways the CLA feels like a GTI in a suit.......and that's a very good thing in my opinion.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    If the rear seat will be used infrequently that seems like even more reason for headrest that slide down. These headrests seem to do a real number on rearward visibility for passengers that won't usually be there.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I stand corrected, I forgot about the Impreza's LATCH cutouts. Those indeed are the worst ever implementation. I appreciate how easy the system here is to use, and having a child in a rear-facing car seat right now I'm qualified to make that observation, but it just doesn't look that good to my eye. Function too far over form here, in my opinion.
  • Options
    archibaldcrane_archibaldcrane_ Member Posts: 1
    I think you guys need to go a bit more into detail about the really cramped backseat. I test drove this car, really enjoyed it from the driver's seat...and then I sat in the back. I'm only 5'10.5" tall, and 5 minutes in the back gave my neck a kink trying to figure out how to slouch properly to keep my head from mashing against the roof.