Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Here is the proper engine break-in procedure for a 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    WOW, this is by far the most stringent break in procedure I have ever seen!

No downshifting for engine breaking? I don't think I have ever heard of this before.
  • Options
    arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    At least they allow for a normal max speed. I typically keep my break-ins at 55 or below (I always stay in the right lane on highways to avoid getting flipped off)
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I wonder if e-mode prevents any of those events from occurring? The hardest to hold to must be the one about not manually down shifting--thaqt's just habit.
  • Options
    bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    i have my doubts most customers still do this
  • Options
    mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    I was under the impression (from a long ago Kevin Cameron article in now-defunct Cycle magazine) that some engine braking was useful for break-in.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    If the engine breaks when you downshift you are doing it wrong. Please advise your spell checker (or is it chequer?) about breaking and braking. I thought this car had an automatic? What is this manual downshifting all about? If you are driving a car in break-in mode, you won't be going fast enough to need engine braking in addition to the brakes.
  • Options
    ericheseriches Member Posts: 80
    Interestingly, driving in E mode is pretty much a must during highway travel anyway. In Sport (S) mode, you can't access 7th gear -- 6th is as high as it will go. Of course, there is a third option: manual mode. --Erin
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    If this thing has rev-matching on upshifting and downshifting, the technically it's not engine-braking even if you downshift manually.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @fordson1 Even with a matched shift you may be are slowing the car against the compression at significant revs = engine braking.
  • Options
    iodeiode Member Posts: 5
    Broken the 1k break in period not long ago. It's time to explore my options for fun with Sport and Manual. :)