Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

This warning illuminated when I tried shifting our 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS into reverse.

Read the full story here

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    ohhhhh, another opportunity to refer back to those saying that if MB had built the Tesla S it would be flawless... neener neener neeener
    and MB has had 120 years to perfect the process.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @zimtheinvader,

I think it should be noted that there is nothing on the Model S that comes close to approaching the electromechanical complexity of a 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox. The Model S is a remarkable car and I love mine, but it's electrification m
    @zimtheinvader,

I think it should be noted that there is nothing on the Model S that comes close to approaching the electromechanical complexity of a 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox. The Model S is a remarkable car and I love mine, but it's electrification m
  • exnevadan_exnevadan_ Member Posts: 25
    7-speed is right, all forward
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    "This is the only time we've seen this light and it hasn't returned since." So... no problem then, right?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I bet this Mercedes V8 sounds way better than the Tesla S, though, mercedesfan. In the burnout video Edmunds posted it sounded like little more than a Hoover Windtunnel under full throttle. Probably even a GTI sounds better.;-)
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Would be interesting to know what was going on here. Cars don't think for themselves. Somebody bothered to program this message into the the display so there must be something that happens to the transmission that locks out reverse yet enables it after the car is started up again. I would imagine this gets old real fast when parking.
    @fordson1,
    Haha, touche. I absolutely agree, though. The V8 in my S550 sounds magnificent, the V8 in my old M3 sounded sublime, the straight-6 in my 1971 280SE-3.5 sounds wonderfully mechanical, the V6 in my wife's E350 sounds aggressive, the electric mot
    mercedesfan, yes, but I bet there is plenty of stuff more complex than the center console that keeps jamming on the SLS in the S. And companies like Ford and VW can master a 6 speed dual clutch. It wasn't intended to be a dig at the MB, just that so many people seem shocked when an expensive car like the S has problems but the MB gets a pass. When a lot of higher end lower production number cars have issues. It is just the nature of the beast no matter what continent they are made on.
  • benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    In my Mercedes experience transmissions are a wear item.
    @zimtheinvader,

As an actual Model S owner, I can tell you without a question that there is no MB (or any other low-ish volume automaker) who currently produces cars as problem prone as Tesla. The SLS' occasionally sticking console lid (it has only done