Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

The SLS AMG, like other Mercedes-Benz models, has excellent cruise control. It also has the older stalk position that seems to be getting phased out in newer Mercedes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I guess if you are already exceeding the speed limit in a bright red ticket-me mobile it is nice to have the speed locked exactly where you had it.-- But I often find myself wishing they had smarter cruise control that would allow the car to slow just slightly on uphills and allow gravity to accelerate it a bit on downhills. That is the natural way most people drive and so the cruise control tries to accelerate me into the back of them on uphills and slows to the point of them getting way too close on downhills. -- I think it would also be slightly more fuel efficient
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Similar to the Toyota design (which one of you guys originally panned). The positioning of the cruise control stalk is a bit odd... I personally prefer it at the 5 o'clock position as it rests naturally into hand, but I guess that's only if you make copious use of the feature.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    There's no reason to slow down on uphills and speed up on downhills. Driving isn't like running or walking. And if more people used cruise control or just paid attention and held a steady speed, I wouldn't have the problem of having to dodge around people crawling up hills and then being passed by them again as they speed downhill. Anyway, that does look like an excellent control layout, but I think I would find it more intuitive to pull to cancel, push to resume.
  • bvc500bvc500 Member Posts: 0
    Finally some praise for Mercedes' cruise control. All too often, journalists testing Mercedes for a short period of time complain about its placement close to the turn signal, but in my 20 years of driving Mercedes, I've only confused it once. I think its placed perfectly and its the easiest system to use!
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @zimtheinvader. When I become dictator what you describe will never happen on the freeway again. Why? Because my punishment for non-use of cruise control will be so draconian they could not show it on Game of Thrones. As for the colour of the SLS, in a re
  • saulstersaulster Member Posts: 48
    Sorry to disagree but I find CC stalks far less user friendly than a good steering wheel button set up. I don't need the extra hardware hanging from the steering column. As you point out, in the MBZ location, it can get in the way of the best possible turn signal location and function. And that turn signal stalk usually controls other important items like headlights. I don't want to "get used to something", I want what works easiest and best.

I don't know why MBZ doesn't provide steering wheel CC buttons. "Not invented here"? Not pay royalties to who invented that feature ( I believe Ford )? Or was that so long ago it does not apply any more? Different to be different?

Glad you like 'em, enjoy. The SLS is a rockin' car and I am sure much fun regardless of CC controls. Yep, I am jealous!