Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Parking sensors on the 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

Read the full story here

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Yeah - accurate. TOO accurate - there is no was any system should be letting you get that probably-$5k-splitter that close to anything.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    are the sensors really picking up the parking block? They seem like they are kinda high to be getting a good read on it since they are the indents in the section up above the splitter.--- If they are then I have to agree with fordson1, I wouldn't call them 'good'. Accurate, sure but not good as who wants to get that close. --- what do the indicators on the dash look like? Is it a long line of lights so you have plenty of warning before it goes red?
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @zimtheinvader,

There are typically 4-6 yellow lights and then 2 red lights. By the time you get to red you are pretty much touching the object. The thing with Parktronic (Benz-speak for radar parking aids) is that it isn't like normal systems. It only w
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Thanks, mercedesfan - interesting. I would never take an M-B this close...or a BMW, or a VW. But this is an OPC (other person's car).
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Not to be a jerk but... why are your parking in a handicapped spot?
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    GM has been doing the rear indicators for years. The second generation Escalade had the green, yellow, red indicators mounted just above the liftgate that was visible in the rearview mirror. Now knowing GM they probably realized how this was a really good idea and then discontinued using it on all their models.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    And those parking sensors are very accurate. My co-worker was backing her Expedition into a garage parking space and thought she had enough room despite the blaring warning from the sensors. Sensors 1 Samantha 0. The side of the truck scraped the pole. So I'm sure Mercedes programmed the sensors to determine ground clearance since the car is so low to the ground. GM you might want to do the same thing for the Corvette, Volt, and CTS.