Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class First Drive

As the flagship sedan in the Mercedes-Benz lineup, the 2014 S-Class represents the best of everything the automaker has to offer. We took it for a drive to see how far it's come.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    It's annoying that Mercedes still can't figure out how to tune a good steering rack. My '07 S550 has steering that is nicely weighted, precise, and totally devoid of feel. It looks like the W222 is going to offer up more of the same. It's a shame because the rest of the car sounds incredible. It's true that none of the cars in this segment approach anything close to "sporty", but a good steering rack pays dividends in more situations than simply spirited driving. I'm interested to see what AMG comes up with for the S63.
  • benson12benson12 Member Posts: 6
    The S Class is always awesome, years 2000 - 2003 not withstanding. I wonder how much more rigid this car could be. I drive a 15 year old S and it doesn't feel like it needs to be more rigid, there's no rattles and no flex. If you jack up one corner the wheels to either side will lift up. Is there something like being too rigid?

You should be able to fold the rear headrests out of the way with a button on the dash, they've had that feature forever.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Impressive, as always.

Two comments: (1) that steering wheel looks awful. I hope it feels better in the hands than it looks and (2) all that technology is going to lead to a really good used car buy a few years down the road as these will likely depreciate like a rock.
  • mmmm4mmmm4 Member Posts: 8
    Why does anyone want to pay more for a Tesla S?
  • bryan__tbryan__t Member Posts: 23
    I cannot remember the last time I saw a 2-spoke steering while. Perhaps on a late 90's Crown Vic. The entire dash seems somewhat geriatric, despite the giant widescreen. I guess I am not in the target demo for this car. It is probably awesome for passengers, though.
  • bryan__tbryan__t Member Posts: 23
    sorry - steering WHEEL...
  • 133712133712 Member Posts: 5
    Magic vision control is NOT infrared images at night. It is the windshield wiper system found on the current SL which sprays water out of laser drilled holes built into the wiper stalk, instead of from nozzles
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    What is explanation for why the 4.7L new V8 engine and 9 speed transmission won't be available in the states?
    @techman41973: There is no "new" 4.7-liter, V8. They have simply tweaked the existing mill a bit to squeeze out an extra 26-horsepower or so. This same V8 will be sold worldwide. It was an all-new engine for the 2012 model year and thus there wa
  • kkear3kkear3 Member Posts: 3
    It doesn't look "special" like an S Class should. It looks too much like an E Class.
    That could be a problem if the upmarket versions of this car are intended to replace the Maybach.
    Aside from that, I like the new interior; it does look like a top line luxury car.
  • Igor KaganIgor Kagan Member Posts: 30
    Awesome car, depreciates like crazy: My father bought
    a new CL600 in 2008 for over 160K, sold in 2012 (60K miles)
    for 39K. A friend was trying to sell a certified pre-owned 2010 S400
    Hybrid with 28k miles for 45K - no takers... ended up selling to CARMAX for 41K.
    @ikagan: It really depends on the model. The 550 (both S and CL) and S350 Bluetec actually have pretty decent residuals. At least, no worse than the class norm (let's face it ALL of the cars at this price depreciate like crazy). The V12 models are terribl
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Appears MB design continues to fluctuate between curvy and linear
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Sounds impressive. Audi is lauded for their interiors but I've always prefered the S class interior. The new one looks even better. I am looking forward to seeing one up close.
  • josephjoejosephjoe Member Posts: 5
    Is the new s-class has most advanced features...
    auto body repair costs toronto