Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

We back to the service station again with our 2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster.

Read the full story here

Comments

• duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I don't even know what to say about this car at this point. But it's refreshing to see good customer service (kind of sad that's not guaranteed even at a MB dealership).
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    She stroked you and you went for it. Old story. The car? I agree with duck87 - don't even know what to say, except it's a low-volume car in the even lower-volume cabriolet version, and in that situation unfortunately the end user is often the last 50 feet of the assembly line.
  • benson12benson12 Member Posts: 6
    Are they still gonna replace that piece eventually? I predict that "purely aesthetic" piece actually serves a purpose like keeping dust or water out of wherever and it's going to cause more trouble down the road. MB's don't react well to quick fixes and short-cuts, they always get you in the end. I love em still though.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    You should have asked for a refund. Get your money back!
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Well Babs did a good job, I'll give her that. Whoever designed that convertible top, hard to know. The techs who have been trying to fix it since I can't remember when, certainly not. I really do hope that this whole story is actually over now.
  • hooninaroundhooninaround Member Posts: 40
    Haha, love the last sentence on the last paragraph! Now, I know the Lemon Law in CA doesn't apply to this case, since it is not a defect that can cause death or serious bodily injury, but something more has to be done. C'mon, 3 times!? If i had to visit the dealership 3 times for the same reason, no amount of great customer service would do for me. I understand that Babs seems great but this is too much, specially on a car of this caliber. For God's sakes my little sisters 1995 VW Cabrio top still works perfectly!
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Is it possible that this car was in a collision that might have misaligned something that, later, a repair shop might have overlooked or not properly repaired? Automotive tolerances are pretty tight -- we're not talking eighths of an inch, here, but probably thousandths or ten-thousandths of an inch. A small bump might be enough to set something out of whack.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Points for the name "Babs", but while positive (for once), the service strikes me as too little, too late.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    thanks for making the car let the top work yet no longer intact. I think after these posts I will swear off buying a used Mercedes...
    I know, one bad AMG don't spoil the whole bunch, girl....
  • vq356mtvq356mt Member Posts: 0
    Something tells me their response was affected by you driving a $200k+ car. I wonder what would have happened if you had pulled in with a 2-year-old SLK broken in the same manner?
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I have been defending this car's top all along assuming a fluke failure that was followed by a poor-quality repair. At this point I don't think even I believe that line anymore. This is unacceptable. However, I don't understand why you didn't leave the car?! If this was my car I would absolutely have made them keep the car and fix it properly! Well, actually, I would have gone to a different dealer and demanded that they fix it. Clearly WI Simonson can't get the job done here. If this was truly a design defect you would hear about it on owner forums. This is a defect with this particular car and they aren't doing anything to resolve it. I would also escalate the issue by contacting MBUSA directly. I might even involve legal counsel.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Scott, you know I like you. But fixing a problem that's been "fixed" two more times previously by hacking off a trim piece on a $100,000-plus car counts as outstanding customer service? That's a rather sad commentary on the state of "service" these days.
  • zumajayzumajay Member Posts: 1
    Sure... would you get the same service if you pulled up in an 190E from the 90's?

Doubtful...