Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a Long-Term Test of the 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster and evaluates its Keyless Go system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You guys told us back in January that it does have keyless entry. And I find it doubtful that that little black Chiclet on the door does nothing.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    As an MB owner, that little black "Chiclet" should be the infrared sensor for lowering and raising the windows (and top?) just using the key facing the "Chiclet" from outside the vehicle.

Give it a try.
  • Options
    redford76redford76 Member Posts: 5
    Is it acceptable to "dog" the mercedes? now that its been in twice for the conv top? love the bias tward non-american car mfg
  • Options
    mlowery85mlowery85 Member Posts: 5
    Are you sure about this? Try grabbing the handle? Also the little black thing on the door handle is an IR sensor. If you point the key at it and hold down unlock it rolls the windows down. Hold lock and it rolls them back up. Benz has been doing that for years.
  • Options
    tucsonarchit_tucsonarchit_ Member Posts: 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLlwC2wK7UE

Sensor is integrated into the door handle - Pulling should open either door if the SLS is like any other KeylessGo-equipped Merc. Could be something wrong; seems like it's a somewhat widespread issue on Benzes.

p.s. MB USA needs to get a better looking spokesperson for their YouTube owner support videos....
  • Options
    jkavanaghjkavanagh Member Posts: 26
    January's intro was incorrect. There is no keyless entry on this car. You can grab the handle all you want, wave the key at the handle, dance around... it will remain locked until you press the unlock button on the key. Believe it.

Keyless Go on the SLS droptop consists solely of keyless ignition.
  • Options
    tucsonarchit_tucsonarchit_ Member Posts: 4
    Wow that is ridiculous for a $250k car. Has MB USA offered ny explanation as to why that is?
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Okay, then you need to go back and change the January entry, and you need to change this entry and either explain about the IR sensor on the door handle or remove any reference to it. As for why it does not have keyless entry, that's easy - it's like the steering wheel with no buttons on it on the Carrera and the Scion, and various LT cars with no sunroof - it shows that these cars are really "sporting" and adds at least 20 whp.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    For $250K I want to be able to spec if I want the Keyless combo or if I want a actual steel keys with an old fashioned fob for remote lock\unlock and maybe popping the trunk.
  • Options
    onpawsonpaws Member Posts: 2
    That sounds odd.
    I presume pulling the handle doesn't open the door?
  • Options
    onpawsonpaws Member Posts: 2
    No joke, reading the manual suggests exactly what Edmunds has reported here:
    http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-cars/ba/cars/r197/en/manual_base.shtml
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    Haha! It's funny that you can't get real Keyless-Go on the SLS, but you can on a $31K CLA.
  • Options
    cjh6793cjh6793 Member Posts: 1
    You sure? Should be able to press the black button there on the handle to unlock/lock it. At least that's how it works in my mother's '13 ML.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    So, have you all tried to lower and/or raise the windows with the unlock/lock buttons on the remote yet???
  • Options
    sanasavsanasav Member Posts: 2
    The little black square on the door handle is there so you can roll down or roll up the windows (and top) with the key. To roll everything down, point the key at the black square and press and hold unlock (after the car is unlocked). To roll everything back up, point the key at the black square and press and hold the lock button (after the car is already locked).