Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Why are Porsche's options so expensive?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    This car is 3241 lbs. A ZR1 is a hundred pound heavier. A Z06 is fifty pounds lighter. For AWD models, an R8 V8 is 3362 and a Carrerra 4S is 3230. The idea that a 911 is radically lighter in weight than other 2-seater sports cars of approximately the same class is a fable.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @fordson1,

John never made the argument anywhere that the 911 was light. In fact, if you ever drive one you'll see that from behind the wheel it actually feels far heavier than many of its competitors. There is a hefty, luxury-like feeling of substance t
    He basically says that in a world of overweight sports cars, the 911 stands out. To you, what is the inference there? And as for the "overassisted" claim, this 911 has just as many safety nannies as any other car of its type. I don't understand why Edmunds has to indulge in hype when differentiating one model of car from another - we understand the usually-subtle differences, and don't need some 100%-better-than-the-rest claim accompanying every other posting.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    "Sadly for buyers and happily for Porsche, most folks looking at a new 911 probably aren't doing much comparison shopping. They want a 911." I think that applies to a lot of people's buying habits. People who want a [insert any model] will buy one despite any flaws.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    Am I the only one that finds the cost of the color option to be quite reasonable for it being a porsche (and in comparison to the ridiculous cost for satelite radio)
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I'm not sure if it's true or not but I once read that Porsche makes more money money per car than any other manufacturer. And this is why. Nobody buys a "standard" Porsche. You can't even find a base model Boxster without a few options. And when you can charge several thousand for the PDK (even more if you want true paddle shifters) then you can charge a few hundred for painted crests on the wheels, a few thousand for "full" leather and several hundred to several thousand more to add leather where the full leather doesn't cover.

But trust me, from someone that special ordered his 911, very few real 911 buyers (as opposed to internet blowhards) get their panties that wadded up over this. They pony up with the cash.

And to fordson1... the C6 Corvette is an absolutely amazing car. Other than the horrible seats, I can't see a reasonable argument from a true car enthusiast that says otherwise. But drive one and then drive a 991 Porsche back to back and there is a HUGE difference in feel and sensation. I'm not saying one's better or worse than the other but I am saying that a 911 doesn't really feel like a Corvette and vice versa. Some people are 'Vette people and others are Porsche people.

I prefer the delicate and finely honed feel of the Porsche. But I certainly can't fault anyone for puting a 'Vette in their garage.
  • johnnyturbojohnnyturbo Member Posts: 1
    @ fordson,
    At only 3,042 pounds, a 911 coupe is, in today's world, a pretty light car. BTW, a Corvette Z06 coupe weighs 3,175. So, actually the 911 is lighter by 133 pounds. I'm old school -- I like to compare apples to apples (i.e. coupe to coupe). That
    Interesting responses - actually, if you want to get right down to it, the middle-hot Z06 would be a comparison to the middle-hot Carrerra S, at 3075 lb. - exactly 100 pounds difference. I would not consider these other cars to be equivalent to a 911 - they are GTs, not sports cars. If your point is that a 911 feels different, say that, because there is no difference in the number of driver aids among modern cars. If anything, a car with a strong front or rear weight bias, like a 911 or a FWD hatchback, has much more in the way of suspension tuning and stability-control massaging to mask their predominant tendencies associated with weight transfer under under transition from acceleration to deceleration and vice-versa, than any car with the center of mass closer to the center of the wheelbase. In that sense, the 911 is perhaps one of the more "overassisted" cars in production today.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @evodad: Out of the whole article, that's exactly what I came away with as well. Great minds think alike and all that right?