Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

The 20,000-mile service for our 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet was pricey, but some couponing helped.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    it would be nice if you showed the invoice for all the work that was done. That was pretty pricey for only the 20K service
  • jli585jli585 Member Posts: 8
    I was able to find this service schedule online. Looks like an oil change, air filter change, cabin filter change, and a handful of visual inspections. They don't even take off the wheels!

https://pictures.dealer.com/porscheofsanantonio/d35e087b0a0d028a00ec0b802a164fc5.pdf
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    You need to start saving for the cost of rotating the wheels, lol.
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    I wish you guys did more DIY oil changes and simple maintenance items like this and show us on this blog. I'd love to see what's involved on all your different cars -- and see why a 911 oil change costs nearly a grand!
  • cpd87cpd87 Member Posts: 4
    They charge nearly a grand for the oil change because they know they can. Unless you have a hi-po 911 (ridiculous statement I know), an oil change and a filter cartridge does not cost several hundred dollars if you do it yourself.
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Yeah, I would love a breakdown as well. It IS funny how its like "oh this is an amazing daily driver" and then $850 for oil change and a couple of filters. Average 1k per month and you're talking about $45 per month JUST for those things. What about tire rotation? Plugs and Wires? How much are new tires going to cost? What about your first non-warranty repair cost? I saw online how another guy was also suggested:

- Brake Fluid System Flush $350
    - Injectors clean out $300

For his 20k. Idiotic! Be cheaper just to abuse it and dump it. I REALLY believe that if you can't very comfortably afford the "S" model and a bunch of overpriced options, you REALLY can't afford to own a Porsche. Might be a good reliable daily driver, but NOT cheap.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    this is a car that sells for six figures and a 800 dollar service bill surprises most people? also this is the 20k service thats less than once a year for most owners. im suprised it was not 1000 dollars and a dealership taking 200 buck off via coupon is great service
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    It finally happened. I saw a near-$1000 price tag for an oil change in Los Angeles and didn't even blink. This website has finally succeeded in desensitizing me.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    By the way in the past I've noticed on write-ups for LT fleet service visits loaner cars have been declined because, well, you have a fleet at your disposal. Was everything spoken for this time, including personal cars?
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Lots of motos (Ducati, Triumph, Bmw) have 15k miles service costs which can easily be over $1000. But those visits tend to involve much much more than an oil change.

Edmunds, can u ask an indie Porsche shop how much they would charge for the same service? And have them show you where the time goes in doing it?
    Car mfgs are not allowed to invalidate the warranty if you get work done elswhere than the dealership.
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    As an addition to my earlier post, I was reading how to change the oil in an older 911. Been a while, but I seem to remember you had to drain oil from two different places or there were two oil filters, I don't remember, it was odd.

That's why I'd like to see Edmunds give a step by step more often. You've got a lift, use it!
    Edmunds procuring dealer service is a good way to provide an example of what the typical owner experience will be. If you also did at least one DIY on every car, we would get an idea on whether or not it is worth your while. Plus, as others said, you do have a lift.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I agree with noburgers...have the dealer do the service so that we can get an idea what the dealer charges, but get the thing up on your lift and run through it yourselves so that DIY-ers can get an idea of what is actually involved for the money. That is actually what I thought you were going to do with your lift, your tools, etc., but you have done next to nothing with them. So ~$15k on a lift, compressor, impact tools, rollaway toolbox, etc. so that Dan Edmunds can do a suspension walkaround every other month? Man, I hope you're getting to depreciate this stuff with the IRS...
    @fordson, I don't want to be disrespectful to the Edmunds' staff, but I bet that equipment gets more use on personal vehicles. Dan's walkarounds are pretty awesome. The value of that equipment for reporting is definitely underutilized, however, I haven'
  • miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    In my experience servicing Porsches, most of that money is labor time for disassembly of EVERYTHING to get to the service items on 991.
  • mustang5507mustang5507 Member Posts: 2
    For service on a new car, pretty steep IMO. I'm between $700 and $1200 on service visits on my 10 year old S-type...
  • porschesqporschesq Member Posts: 3
    IMHO you got ripped off. The 20k is an oil change and cabin filter swap. There is 20 minutes of work and 45 minutes of waiting while the oil drains. Should have cost $300 max

Can't imagine what the tech was doing for for almost 5 hours
  • tarzan46tarzan46 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to keep cab roof from showing fold marks on rear sides?
    In bright sunlight there are distinct irregular marks from where roof folded.
    How to get out?
    Only put it down 4 times while clean and dry....seems strange that a 100K+ car would have such a cheap fabric.
    Had an Alfa Romeo Spyder years ago (new) and its roof fabric never had this problem!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks much