Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Nissan

image2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds' Long-Term Road Test of the 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD crossover.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    This one is much better looking than the prior generation, but I would be hard pressed to choose this CUV over a 1.6EB/6-speed auto equipped Escape. I wonder how the Juke's turbo engine would fare in this trucklet?
  • canduranducandurandu Member Posts: 6
    Why does EVERY car in the test fleet have to be "maxed-out", "top-of-the-line" or "filled with every option"?

Can we have just one car that's equipped like 70% of shoppers would buy? Maybe a mid-line Rogue with an upgraded stereo and...that's all.

No gee-whiz gizmos, no lane detection, no near $35,000 small SUV when Nissan will sell 5 times as many mid-tier Rogue offerings at $25k.

Is all this extra stuff nice? Of course it is. Does it make the vehicle more comfortable and luxurious? Yep. Does it truly represent the majority of the buying public No.

I'm not saying every long-term car should have crank windows and AM-only radios with uber-skinny tires. But I am saying that maybe one out of ten should reflect the big part of the bell curve in a given product's sales forecasts.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    They max them out because many of the options have no impact on performance so they can test them for buyers who would want them, while the comments about handling and acceleration would apply to the lower level cars too. My issue is that the typically get sport packages and wheel upgrades that DO impact ride and handling, and so praise or complaints about those aspects of performance might not be applicable to entry and mid level version of the car. Plus with manufacturer supplied vehicles like this I am not sure they really get lots of choice. Nissan (and every other manufacturer) WANTS the magazines and websites to test the most luxurious/high performance versions of its cars and trucks.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Commenting for commenting's sake.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    modestly equipped, the Rogue seems to be a deal. I know you guys like to evaluate loaded models, though. This should be an interesting test. Hopefully you guys can compare it to similar (past) long termers like the CR-V. In New England these are everywhere
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I have seen a couple of these on the road and they look good. I would not be surprised to see this Rogue give the CRV a run for the sales title.
  • subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    Test. Do comments work on introduction and wrap-up articles?
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    Curious to see how the CVT holds up
    what is with the new super secret comments sections on the intro and wrap-ups?
    I can see bankerdanny's point to an extent on the bells and whistles as it is nice to find out if they are useful or not. But at the same time all those things can make a car just that much more enjoyable to drive and sway the overall opinion of a car. --- It reminds me of the Ford commercials where they'd 'swap' people into a Ford. You'd have people gushing over the sunroof, leather and other little things on the Ford that their car didn't have; even though they could have purchased their car with most of those things. --- Sitting in nice leather seats with a leather steering wheel and high end audio to listen to is generally nicer than velour fabric seats, plastic steering wheel and base radio. That has to affect the overall opinion of the car. --- Next time you are car shopping just try looking at the most expensive trim level they have first and then move to the base one and see if you are as excited about it. We made that mistake at the new car show one year; started at a premium brand stand and nothing compared after that.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    Why i the Rogue so godawful ugly? Sheesh. For $30k you'd think it could be a bit more attractive.
    I take the 5th
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The manufacturer provided Edmunds this vehicle for the purposes of evaluation.

Does Edmunds purchase any new vehicles anymore? After the B.S. posts about the lemon Dodge Dart I don't think any of Edmunds posts are unbiased. They are obviously providing biased reports to satisfy the manufacturer to continue getting free vehicles and advertising dollars.
  • ari80ari80 Member Posts: 1
    Try lifting the windshield wipers without scratching the hood.

Let me know if the maintenance warning counter actually counts your miles.

Does the accelerate/reset button on your cruise control work?