Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Nissan

image2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

A discussion of the optional LED lights in our long-term 2014 Nissan Rogue.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    I'm slightly confused by the photo. It looks like there are three different lights sources. Projector, Halogen brights, and LED headlights. I went to Nissan's website hoping for a better explanation but they show a picture of just the LED lights on and that they are auto leveling. Their picture doesn't show projector headlights, but two halogen style bulbs. Do the LEDs supplement the projector lighting or are they stand alone? Can we get a pic?
  • foxtrot685foxtrot685 Member Posts: 10
    The LED arrangement that is shaped like an "L" is the LED DRL arrangement. Next, the multiflector halogen bowl is for the standard halogen high beam light. Finally, the LED headlamp for the low beam driving lights is inside of that projector.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I don't think LED's are necessarily expected to have superior performance to xenons; they're just supposed to have similar performance, but with lower power drain and longer life.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    LED headlights are being quickly adopted and available on all models not just high end luxury. I assume that they are cheaper to produce than xenons but have the same light output. More for less.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    first, i want to know who dinged me a thumbs down for asking an honest question i doubt few could answer?! i even stated i went to the nissan website to try to find the answer. PUNK! make yourself known! anyway, thanks for the clarification foxtrot. i didn't know they had LED projectors. that's pretty neat, makes sense...
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Could the multi-reflector high beam also be LED driven? I'm not quite sure what folk are expecting from LED lights other than the longevity and lower power requirement. The DoT has some pretty strict rules on intensity, so once you get your beam pattern optimised there's not much to make "better". In fact, I'd bet that many a halogen driven lamp could reach the DoT max as well. Now define "better" for me.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Just a question but how hard would it be to take a Rouge without the premium package and add the LED headlights? Is this just replacing the headlights or a massive electrical project?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I have an idea...how about if there is going to be a post about the headlights and their performance, a photo gets posted showing how well they illuminate at night? As they say, "This thread is worthless without pictures."
  • hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    @ryster: +1 The edmunds staff has posted some beam pattern pics in the past of other long term vehicles and that helps. I say output and beam pattern pics are essential when adding a post about headlights.
  • christoplechristople Member Posts: 27
    No pics = No care.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that"

• murphious_murphious_ Member Posts: 2
    I believe the main advantages of using LED instead of Xenon is less power usage per lumen and longevity of "bulb" life...?
  • murphious_murphious_ Member Posts: 2
    Was unable to read all comments until I had logged in to post my own. The info I posted was previously mentioned in another poster's comment. Please remove mine.

---murphious