Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet has a new owner and is headed to Pittsburgh.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I'm glad you got more money and that I was wrong. I'm married, so I'm used to being wrong.
  • cuselancer17cuselancer17 Member Posts: 53
    Interesting story. If it was my 80 grand, I'd have flown across the country and driven it back just for fun.
  • dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    If it was my 80 grand I'd put it down on a brand new 2014 model that didn't have 24,000 miles on it, multiple burnouts, curb rash and a cross-country trip in winter and snow.

Then I'd finance the other 18K over 5 years at 3% and make payments of $300 a month.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    A 20% discount off new (~40% off MSRP IIRC) is a pretty fair trade for some miles and a few imperfections IMHO. I bet that a person who is able to wire $81k over to Edmunds to buy a car is not the kind of guy who needs to finance $18k more to buy a new one but one who simply prefers skipping the steepest part of the depreciation curve.
    The manufacturer warranty for the 911 is 4 years or 50,000 miles. If the new purchaser wants to stay in warranty for the next 3 years he can only drive 8000 miles a year.

Anybody can wire 80K over to Edmunds. You have a HELOC, your own Credit Union, or you finance through some third party source at 1.99% and wire the money to Edmunds.

If you know REAL Porsche aficionados you know that they don't drive them in the rain. To drive one 10,000 miles through snow and salt is crazy.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I get dunning15s point, but the guy probably is not going to drive this car through a Pittsburgh winter anyway, and it's probably not his only car, so I would bet that 8k miles a year is plenty for him. Reason I would not have purchased it is...sorry to say, but this is a fleet car. Lots of "not my yob, man" when it comes to taking care of things as they come up, as a single owner would do. That's why Edmunds cars are frequently throwing TPMS warnings of the tires being 5-6 psi below rated pressure - there is no one person thinking, "it's been x weeks since this has been checked" and dealing with it. Plus 20k+ miles put on in mostly SoCal stop-and-go traffic...um, no thanks.
  • ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    Couldn't agree with you more fordson. This poor baby may not have been mistreated, but it had no idea who it's daddy was. :-)
    I agree with you Fordson. I'm marking this day down in my journal because I've been waiting for it.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    Fine, we have no idea where the money came from (though you can't just wire money for a securitized loan in my experience - the bank expects the title directly) but the REAL Porsche guys I know drive the sh*t out of them, just like Edmunds did. *shrug* It's one year old with plenty of warranty left if it's not your only car. I struggle to find a reason to get worked up over its "abuse" at the hands of the staff. The buyer knows a lot more about this car than the average person buying a used car.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I think I agreed with you on something else a week or so back, dunning15. It was notable enough that I remembered it, I guess.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I'm glad to be wrong on this one. That car is headed to my city, ironically. Tom the buyer was probably willing to match the others' offer because of the better weather the car experienced on the west coast.
    Did you read all of the updates? This thing experienced more than a normal Porsche 911's share of nasty weather. This isn't a 'Not-Driven-In-The-Rain' SoCal pampered 911.