Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

If you're going to drop $83,000 on a car, you better get it inspected.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Being the intelligent Edmunds readers that we are, then, the shopper got a clean report but did not purchase the car. Could you not agree on a price, or what?
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Wow, $400. What was that, 2 hours at $200 per hour? Maybe it was just a "quickie" at 1 hour @ $400 per hour...
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I'm perplexed as to why any Porsche dealer would refuse doing a PPI. That makes no sense at all.

The dealer makes money on them.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    So, did you go halfsies on the inspection report? It would be a great bargaining tool for the next buyer if that one doesn't like it...
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    you should have asked that dealership to give you an offer on the vehicle after they inspected it. also selling a vehicle it might be worth getting the inspection yourself from a reputable shop/dealer and then advertising the results. a buyer payif out of their own pocket is likely to haggle the inspection cost out of the selling price anyways so might as well pay for it yourself and get it moved more quickly and maybe earn a higher sales price.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I'm with bass. You are selling at $80k car. Pay the $400 for your own copy of the report.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    cjasis, I wondered the same thing. My only guess is it had to do with it being arranged by an out-of-state person who didn't own the car and accepting payment over the phone. Nothing like finding out that $400 charge was reversed by the credit card company later.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    " You are selling at $80k car. Pay the $400 for your own copy of the report." -- but at the same time they were only $1,300 off from their TMV value with the offer from Carmax so they'd then only be $900 off and some people that can afford a car like this would have better things to do with their time for $900.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    i see a trend of TMV of cars being overly optimistic of real world prices. at least they are closer than KBB that says all cars are worth thousands more.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "We have had the Porsche 911 up for sale for a while now and four people have contacted us. No solid offers yet but getting a clean inspection report will certainly improve our chances. " Um, yeah...but you don't have the report. I'm with bassrockerx and banhugh - get a copy of the report, either by splitting it with the prospect who paid, or by getting it done yourself. Why would you have a prospect pay for it and then he can use that cost as a tool to beat you down on the price of the car, but then not have the benefit of using the report as a selling tool yourselves?
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Remind me again why the Carmax offer wasn't taken?
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    My theory is after a few weeks of dealing with this BS they go back to CarMax, but CarMax now offers less.
  • dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    We're not dealing with financial geniuses here at Edmunds, folks. These characters drove a car for 12 months and took a $20,000 depreciative hit. Of course they are automotive journalists and are doing this for the benefit of all of us. I think.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Kind of agree with you, dunning15, but when I see a title of "senior consumer advice editor," I expect to see a little more savvy in the wheeling and dealing sector.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    You guys are ridiculous. As I said in the previous thread, you'll be back to CarMax. Right now, all the risk is on you, and you still don't have the inspection report despite your endorsement of having one. You should have taken the 98% CarMax offer.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Tell again what TMV means?

Cuz if it means what I think it means, this car would have been sold.

Inconceivable!
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    Guys,

It's a specialty car being sold during a brutal winter. Lighten up and realize that in private sale these cars take time to sell.

I agree they should've taken the carmax offer, but really...?
    @joefrompa - Tell me about the brutal winter depicted in the photo for this article. Edmunds' cars spend most of their time in sunny LA.
    Since the 911 initially lost $1074 per month in value, and since another month has passed since you turned down the $78000 CarMax offer, are you having second thoughts about not selling to them? You should be.