Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Choosing the PDK automatic transmission over the seven-speed manual was a tough decision, and I'm still not sure it was the right one.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    I've driven the new 911 equipped with the PDK. I'm one of the biggest manual trans defenders on this (or any) site. And I have to say -- that for the first time ever -- someone build an automated manual I could live with on a daily basis. The Porsche PDK is that good. (I'd still have to have a weekend toy with a true stick somewhere in the household fleet though.)
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Actually, a lot of reviewers complain about the new 7 speed manual in the 911 and recommend the PDK instead.

The 6 speed manual in the Boxster/Boxster S, however, is highly praised.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    i just want a manual in a big sedan with a big engine you can't find one these days =(
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Amen Ed, amen. The PDK is an absolutely fantastic transmission and is more efficient and faster than any human being on the earth. But... and this is a big old, Sir Mix A Lot type but... it's still not a good three pedal manual.

There are still a few of us who are ok not magazine racing or being the fastest thing every to go stop light to stop light that like the challenge of getting a properly executed heel toe downshift right.

I hope and pray Porsche doesn't go the Ferrari route and abandon the three pedal manual all together.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Agreed. I know a good automated manual, and even some true automatics, offer better performance these days, but they still don't give you the same fun involvement that a proper manual has. If you want the ultimate hot lap time machine, sure go for the automated manual, but if we're talking just enjoying the drive, give me the manual.
  • motorstreetmotorstreet Member Posts: 23
    I've driven a PDK 911. It's great transmission, probably the best dual clutch out there, but it can't come close to the fun of a manual. I would get the manual, but I do understand why people get the PDK, I just wish fewer would get it.
  • homer281homer281 Member Posts: 16
    Agree.. not to mention that on the Boxster PDK is a $7,000 option! That's way too much to pay IMHO for something that still is not quite as good as the feeling of rowing your own gears. I understand availability and depreciation may change that over the years, but $7,000 is a lot on a car that starts at around $50k.
  • homer281homer281 Member Posts: 16
    Agree.. not to mention that on the Boxster PDK is a $7,000 option! That's way too much to pay IMHO for something that still is not quite as good as the feeling of rowing your own gears. I understand availability and depreciation may change that over the years, but $7,000 is a lot on a car that starts at around $50k.