Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

We took our long-term 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet to CarMax. Here's how it went and what the used-car store offered us.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Your heart sank because their offer was 1.66% lower than Edmunds' estimate? Heck I'd see that as a pretty nice margin of error.
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Wow, $20k loss in a year. Fun. Of course, the question is, what type of buyer would buy a $80k Porsche from CarMax, especially since I presume that the warranty is 2/3rds used up. I wouldn't be surprised if there's $20k of repairs/maintenance needed over the next few years.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    My first though was that you should have just taken the money. However, a quick search of similar cars in the Santa Monica area shows that most are overpriced or ridiculously optioned, while there are just a few around your price range. Hopefully you can find someone who wants a nearly new car, albeit with higher than average miles, for a decent price. Honestly, with the way dealers are optioning these cars, I would ONLY factory order if I was in the market for a new 991. Large wheels, colored seats belts, interior in flavor of the month trim... Please. I'll take a manual, hardtop, with very few options. I am assuming that I'd buy the car to enjoy the drive though, not trying to impress people who don't even care.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Did u ever get the transmission issue looked at? It used to be smooth then became jerky at low speeds.

The carmax offer is still about 20% depreciation, which is not bad given that after all this is a car not an investment. It's what happens when u buy a new car.

Just wait to see how much Carmax will over u on the Vette.

p.s. who curbed the rims? kinda shows that cars are not treated nicely by Edmunds.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I hope it wasn't Cameron who curbed the rim! Yeah, that offer sounds fair. How did you come up with the 80K number? With all the option combos I can see that coming up with a number is a bit of a guessing game. Hopefully you find someone willing to give you what you want.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Fair offer given your mileage and the spec's. You should have taken the Carmax offer.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    That offer really doesn't seem too bad as someone else mentioned percentage wise it's very close to the Edmunds trade-in value, it just may feel more painful because of the high dollar amount you're dealing with to begin with vs. a $20k car. Oh and not to mention those are auto journalist miles so I assume some of which are very much harder than what the average joe would do (although porsche guys do seem to at least like to track their cars) so maybe you guys were actually easier on the car than many other 1st owners would be.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    This just reminded me though, the last autocross I went to there was a guy with a 911 that still had the carmax dealer transport tags on it, haha. Either a very poor move by carmax staff or a great way to kick off the ownership experience.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Once again, the Edmunds TMV calculator needs some tweaking. You'll be back to CarMax.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    How much would it bring if it were disassembled and the parts sold on the black market in Asia or the Middle East?
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    The beauty of carmax is you can always go back. I recently purchased a car at carmax and they do sell fairly low mileage cars. I sold my previous car privately, it was a hassle but I got 2K more than carmax offered.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    That's 20% depreciation, and not far off your TMV... I don't know what the issue is?
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    How much does it cost to have the curbed rim repaired? If the cost is in $500 (because it's a Porsche), then the $1,500 difference should be acceptable for the higher mileage.

But, you should try selling it to a Canadian buyer looking to export the car back to Canada. That's a heck of a good deal for us here.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    should have taken the offer its less than 2 percent if you sold it yourself not to mention uncle sam would just take most of that 3 thousand dollar difference anyways
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Post from August 28, 2013: "Is there anything worse than curbing a gleaming new wheel? In the grand scheme of things, yes, there are many. But confine the circumstances to driving and parking a valuable sports car and the wheel damage issue is always there.

As you can see, it's not an issue with our 2013 Porsche 911. Despite the big 20-inch wheels and 30/35 series tires, it would be pretty hard to curb these wheels thanks to the shape of the sidewall. It sticks out far enough to protect even the most ham-fisted parking maneuvers and does so without looking the slightest bit awkward from afar. I always adjust my mirrors so I can see the rear wheels when I park on the curb to avoid any nicks, but it's nice to know there's some room for error." Apparently Edmunds possesses some one sufficiently ham-fisted enough to prevail over the tire's rim protectors. Congratulations, or something...
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Knowing those are journalist miles it's worth about $20k to me to break it up for spares. As a Brit comedian said many years ago, "One careful owner; the other 25 were bastards". :-)
  • dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    It's the miles, boys. You took it in for the first service and they told you that you had no idea what your were doing and then you told them the mileage and they flipped out. People drive these things 3000 miles per year and keep them in their heated garages under a car cover. They don't drive them from Santa Monica to New York City and back and then everywhere in between. Take the money and run.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Another car gone quiet. Any Autotrader bites, since CarMax was so awful with their 98% offer?