Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ram 1500 vs. Ford F-150 V6 Pickup Truck Comparison Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Ram
image2013 Ram 1500 vs. Ford F-150 V6 Pickup Truck Comparison Test

The 2013 Ram 1500 and 2013 Ford F-150 pickup trucks offer serious V6 engines that make more than 300 horsepower, the perfect excuse for a comparison test.

Read the full story here

Comments

• cars_r_mecars_r_me Member Posts: 2
    The moral here is never buys a Ford truck, they believe function follow form.
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    I've towed and hauled with a few Ford trucks, and none of them were impressive. The most disappointing was a new V-10 E-Series 16' box van rental. It wasn't even half full, and the heaviest item packed inside was a big, old, wooden chest. I had to floor it on several occasions in an attempt to maintain 60-65 climbing a mountainous highway. And talk about noisy! OMG! I had to check under the hood as best as I could to make sure it was really a V-10, and it was.

Back in '96, we owned a new Chevy 16' box van with a Vortec 350, and that well out performed this new V-10-powered Ford, even when we had it packed to the gills.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    redgeminipa,
    Ford's V10 is definitely a gutless lump. I've driven two examples of it and I could not believe how sluggish it is. No bottom end, no upper end, no nothing. Uses a lot of fuel though. And it is tremendously loud, so I suppose the fuel is being put to SOME use. Ford's new diesel is a very impressive powerplant, however.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Nice article, Dan, it is good to see the base powertrains put to a rigorous test.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    FWIW, the Dodge V10 was no champ either. A good friend of mine had a '96 3/4 ton 4x4 with the V10 that he sold a couple months back with about 240k miles on it. I'll give it marks for durability, but in terms of speed it was inferior to the Vortec 350 in my sister's '99 Suburban with 204k miles on it, which is still going strong. In this test I think that the Dodge would have benefited from a lower axle ratio. a 3.73 or so would have let it hold the grade in 3rd all the way and with the 8 speed they could easily adjust 4-8th to maintain the excellent highway economy.
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Don't know about the trucks (though I like the Dodge), but that Airstream sure is sweet!
  • moparfan5moparfan5 Member Posts: 11
    I love mopars v6 motor its a star of better things ahead
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    A friend of mine just purchased the Ford 150 with the 5.0 and 4x4 for this same price. I definitely would want the 5.0 if I could get my hands on it!
  • ajpmajpm Member Posts: 1
    The moral here is the newer the better. These days you can´t go wrong with a D3 truck. I guess that the new chevy will beat the ram and when ford brings a new f150 it will be the best and so on. @redgeminipa the E-series vans are just cheap transportation nothing else they are older than me and probably you. I drive one every single day for work and it is bulletproof it has over 300k in the clock without any major problem tough you are riding a dinosaur that can´t be compare to a newer pickup.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    You know, for a website that claims to be consumer-oriented and presents themselves as able to show consumers the lowest price available, a review that fails to mention the fact that Ford XLT's currently have up to $8500 in incentives available doesn't say much for the credibility of the conclusions. I'm sure Ram has several thousand in rebates as well.

In fact, these incentives in some cases make the more powerful versions of these trucks cheaper than the V6's, as does the "express " package on Rams. (20's and Hemi included)
  • jimmdjimmd Member Posts: 6
    Good comparison, keep it up. Look forward to seeing the GM V6 tested against these two.
  • aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    I'm glad to see Dodge's V6 wrung out but this comparison completely misses the point.

Ford's 3.7, as every other V6 truck until now, is a fleet special. Try to find one that actually looks like the one you tested, in the real world they're all white XLs with bench seats. It has no retail presence and it was never intended to.

Dodge wants the V6 Ram to be a consumer product and they're putting that motor in $30,000 4WD crew cabs. 10 different ways of saying the powertrain is better than a stripper work truck isn't telling us anything.

Where's mileage and drivability against the V8s they're trying to sell this as an alternative to?
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    Is it time for D3 to drop small diesels into these trucks?
  • golfgti4789golfgti4789 Member Posts: 20
    Ram Wins!! Clearly the winner. Can't wait to see a Hemi/EcoBoost comparo!
  • alzurzinalzurzin Member Posts: 1
    This review is b/s. The guy has likely never used a real truck in real life. Here is what you need to review in order...
    1/ GVWR. Trucks are used to move things. The greater the GVWR, the more you can move. Ford gvwr is 8200# max. Ram gvwr is 6000# max. This is a huge difference. With Ford F150 you can mount a decent 2000# camper. You cannot do this on the RAM1500. F150 has far greater towing abilities, too.
    2/ Engine Torque. Torque is what gets you going under load, and keeps you going uphill when rpm starts dropping, not HP. Ford torque is 420#. Ram is only 260#. This is a huge difference.
    3/ Transmission. Under heavy loads, you want fewer gear changes, not more. More changes means more work and tear on the tranny.
    4/ Limited slip rear axle. Under load and slippery conditions, you want traction to both wheels. The question is how much torque the diffy can take, and Ford exceeds RAM.
    5/ Brakes. Under load, any tech that can reduce the frequency you need to apply the brakes (and thus reduce fading) gives you that much more braking power and security. Ford does, RAM does not.
    6/ Suspension. Under heavy load, any suspension will reduce vehicle control. This is why the big semi rigs often have no suspension on the trailer. So far, the best suspension for heavy loads is axle with leafs. Coils are good for comfort, but not loads: at least not yet, given the current tech put into trucks. Much more R&D is needed by all truck mfgrs to engineer proper independent suspensions for heavy loads.
    7/ Seats. The reviewer has ignored the most important item in the cab; the seats. Bucket seats with lumbar are best for long hauls. Even so, American mfgrs are the poorest among all mfgrs. The truck seats engineered by Benz and Volvo are vastly superior for safety and comfort, and have air suspensions. Again, this is an item American mfgrs need to improve enormously, and quickly. Ford offers buckets with lumbar, which is far better than RAM.

RAM may be good for a truck used as a car. But Ford gives you a truck to be used as a truck. The specs prove this.
  • geezermikegeezermike Member Posts: 22
    "2013 Ram 1500 vs. Ford F-150 V6 Pickup Truck Comparison Test" Since the Ford F-150 has lost 700 lbs, this comparison test between the Ram 3.6 V6 and the normally aspirated Ford V6 would be very interesting to read. Add $800 to the Ford and get the 2.7 Turbo with the same/better MPG as the normally aspirated Ford V6. I think the Ram's 8-speed transmission and great ride would still be to its benefit towing, but maybe the Ford's weight reduction would equal things out. And maybe adding the Ford Turbo 2.7 power benefit would make it shine. With the current Ford 2.7 F-150 in long term test, your halfway there with the 2.7 Turbo - just repeat the Ford testing.