Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    well very strange second x5 now i read,had problems and brand new,,,
  • cefuscefus Member Posts: 45
    Hope you guys are ready for an exceptional vehicle that will be coming out soon. This X6 (E71) will blow the doors off the hinges. Its going to be an awesome car in performance and looks. Im impressed!!
    I do know as well that the x6 well be a great looking car, suv crossover i think, i found some images but theyr all different so i dont know which is the rite pic, have u got any pics u can sends, it will be muchy better looking than a x5 :)
  • rfightrfight Member Posts: 4
    Here we go again. Local service at dealership nor the corporate BMW could figure out what happened with my new x5 dying as I was cruising down the interstate. So I took the care back and guess what, next day it did it again. Back in the dealership. Hopefully they will have answers this time. This car has 5000 miles on it. I'm afraid I am just the first of many that will experience this problem.
  • mexibecmexibec Member Posts: 114
    I stopped by this forum to get a feel of the new X5. I have an Infinity M45 and Nissan XTerra, and was wondering if the X5 would be *THE* vehicle that would combine the luxury of the M45, the practicality of the XTerra, and solid reliability (I have three kids after all and no time to repeatedly visit my BMW dealer!) Your (great) post pretty much answered all (thanks!) As a former (but-no-longer-loyal) BWM owner ('96 325i, '99 528i, '03 Z3), I finally think I figured out what BMW means in English: Beta Motor Workshop...
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If the pictures I found are what the X6 will look like, BMW can keep it. I like the more usable space in the X5. Check out the sleeked out R class Mercedes. They cannot give them away. An SUV needs to be that, a utility vehicle. Not some sleeked out wannabe SUV. Right now I am leaning toward the GL MB. I want to like the X5 as I have several friends that love them. If I can find a dealer in San Diego that is willing to let me drive one I would be interested.
  • cefuscefus Member Posts: 45
    The photos that you are seeing are not the final look but a very heavily camo covered car, it is not the crossover car that you spoken of.
    Its a very nice car, I have set in it and down some work on it,the car is still in proto type mode, and so things change on it daily. And my overall impression of it is very good. I think it looks alot better then the Merc or the Lex.
  • apbtlvrx4apbtlvrx4 Member Posts: 7
    Uggghhhh! I just bought my first ever BMW in January 2007. It's the new X5, loaded. Has 5000 miles on it now. Was loving it until last night. Driving down the road and a light came on "Steering Malfunction!" Steering or hydraulic fluid pouring out of the engine area onto the road. Managed to get it back to my driveway. Today is Sunday, will call for service first thing tomorrow morning. Is this the first of things to come? Kind of depressing. I hope my experience with BMW service is acceptable. Stay tuned...
  • will_greerwill_greer Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I have an '01 X5 3.0 Sport with about 80,000 miles on it. Frankly, there isn't a thing wrong with it - I've had all the scheduled maintenance done and the thing is in perfect shape.

I'm trying to decide whether to sell it soon or hold it for another 20,000 to 40,000 miles. It's long since paid for, and while I admit that it is nice to have no car payment, it seems to me that I need to become aware of what will happen to the value over the coming tens of thousands of miles.

In other words, it might be more financially advantageous to sell it now, when it is worth, say, $19,000, than to wait 20,000 more miles when it will be worth very little.

Intuitively I suspect there is a perceived value dropoff at 100,000 miles. Does anyone have any intelligence as to the value curve over time on these that would help me make a good decision?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good question.

The True Cost to Own tool just goes out 5 years (and at this point only goes back to 2003 X5's).

But it may show you some trends, like the depreciation curve is getting shallower.
    Update: After waiting half a day for BMW to come pick up my car (they said "30" mins, then they said another "60 minutes", then another "60 minutes" and so on...) they determined that it was a loose connection "from the factory". They hooked it back up and refilled the fluids. Then they said they had to keep it another day in order to carry out some "service notices". The details were sketchy but they said that the company was issuing a recall in order to "update the transmission software and replace some engine hood clips that are susceptible to rusting." The next day they called me in the afternoon and told me to come pick it up. When I arrived, the serviceman avoided me. The cashier said that they didn't have the software update from the manufacturer yet and that they had to order the clips. I could, they said, have these addressed next time I brought it in for service! To top it off, they didn't not offer me a loaner car. I had to find a friend to lend me a car to get to work and back, a 150 mile round trip. I really want to continue loving this car. I hope this is just an aberration and the only one I have to experience.
    Guys why don't u admit it bmw are trouble cars...
  • will_greerwill_greer Member Posts: 3
    >>

I disagree. If you observe the proper maintenance routines, by and large they run forever. They are a little more expensive to service when the need arises, but if you are the type of person who keeps a car for 4 to 8 years, you will probably spend about the same as you would for two chevrolets over that time period, only you get to drive a BMW the whole time.

Just look around you - how many old 3, 5, and 7 series do you see coming and going (you see them quite a bit). Now, how many Camaros - of any vintage - do you see?
  • thstonethstone Member Posts: 6
    Folks;

As useful as this forum is, you should not use it to determine the reliability of any car.

Fact: BMW has sold approximately 580,000 X5's since the model was launched.

Fact: There are only a few thousand complaints here on this website (and most of them very minor).

Conclusion: None. This website isn't representative of owners at large (not very many people post who don't have any problems with their cars). This site is predomiently those who have problems and are willing to complain to the world.

I recommend using Consumer Reports due to the vastly larger and more representative owner sample size.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I totally agree with you. As helpful as this site is, most complaint posters are merely here for a day in search for a place to vent or a place to find an answer. Majority of folks who have non-trouble cars don't come here. Then there are the regular who checks this board weekly that understands this delima.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Guys why don't u admit it bmw are trouble cars...

I noticed that you haven't said anything about your own specific experiences with BMW. Some might interpret your challenge as meaning they should admit to something you imagined. ;)

But, seriously, if you check the discussions of any of the other vehicles you're looking at you'll find owners who have serious problems with theirs. We certainly wouldn't conclude that "all models are trouble cars."

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cioccabmwcioccabmw Member Posts: 10
    Last year BMW produced a total of roughly 290,000 vehicles for the north american market. The full capacity of the Spartinsburg plant may be 500,000 vehicles for the entire year not for 5 months. Every car produced has a bad percentage. Consumer reports rated porsche the most reliable car built for 2006. They way the measure this is problems per 100 cars. Out of 100 Porsche had 92 problem free cars. That still leaves 8 bad ones. Someone has to get the bad ones. What makes a great manufacture is when they do the right thing, much BMW did with the 2002 7 series. The problem is many clients over inflate there issues and do not give the manufacture a chance to fix it. When you buy a new home do you have the oppurtunitty to return for nail pops? No.
    Guys u still wanna argue after reading guys buying new x5 and the brand new car goes dead in the middle of the road did u guys not read what (apbtlvrx4) said and what (freddyb) said??? But i have notice 1 thing which i want to say honestly i think whenever bmw or any other manufacture make a car i would say not all r the same some have defaults and some don't....(tidester) regarding to your message no i don't have a bmw and i don't have any experience with it... but my cousin does he owns a bmw 7 series since abt 4 years and well he hasn't had a single problem with it... But i know some other friends whos car is always in the garage
    I THINK ALL OF YOU HERE ARE BMW CAR FANS ,,, SO U GUYS WOULD NEVER AGREE THAT BMW HAS ANY PROBLEMS THATS MY OPINION AND THATS WHAT I THINK... NO OFFENSE GUYS...
  • cioccabmwcioccabmw Member Posts: 10
    Actually I think BMW does have problems but what I am saying is so does every other brand out there. The most reliable car company still has 8% of total vehicles produced are problematic.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    To follow on what cioccabmw wrote and for people who obsess over consumer reports ratings... they calculate an average of problems per new car model across large numbers manufactured. So Porsche averages .82 problems per new vehicle. Lexus may have .9 problems. BMW may average something like 1.4 problems depending on the model. It boils down to the fact that statistically you are likely to experience at least 1 problem with any of these new vehicles. (You're certainly not going to have .82 problems.) So what's the difference?

You're likely to have a problem or two with any vehicle that you buy. New cars are becoming so reliable that a couple problems per new vehicle on average will earn a manufacturer a below average rating. That is pretty damned good when you consider the complexity of modern cars.

And so what if your BMW does have a problem? Get it fixed for free along with your free oil change and free wiper blades while you drive a free loaner car. Then go enjoy the vehicle.

And for those who say only complainers and the unhappy post on these forums... I have had 5 new X5s since August of 2001. The first one, BMW's first ever SUV and a brand new model built in a brand new plant in SC, had a three minor problems that were fixed under warranty. After that, these X5s were completely reliable. I've been driving a 2007 X5 4.8i for 5 months with no problems. I am extremely happy with their reliability. (Now ask me about my 2002 745i... that's a different story for another day.)
    And I totally agree with "thstone". I found this site because I was looking for a place to vent and see if others had similar problems. This is the first time I've ever blogged or engaged in an ongoing chat on the internet. I have a feeling I will keep coming back. I do LOVE the car despite the problems. BTW, I've had is 2.5 months now. Today, the "low oil" indicator light came on and I had to add a quart. This seems kind of early in the life of this vehicle to me but maybe it is because I live in the dessert (Palm Springs), drive a lot, drive fast, and drive aggressively. Nevertheless, I thought this car was designed to handle this type of driving. All-in-all, I have high hopes that these problems I'm having are not typical and will end soon after a little more breakin. My screen name stands for "american pit bull lover times four" and my four pits LOVE this car! So I'm keeping it.
    Not sure if the oil usage is a sign of a problem in your particular engine, but I can tell you that BMW engines have historically used oil, especially in more extreme driving conditions. I asked one of the senior mechanics at the BMW Performance Center about oil usage (as he was showing us the mechanical design of the M5's engine.) He said they could design an engine that uses little or no oil, but there would be a performance trade off. I've found that all of my BMWs have used oil.
    So whats the 745i story????
  • pantaleonepantaleone Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone tell me what happens when you combine these options in reference to the seats. Since the premium package seats have lumbar and the sport seats do not. Does the sport package seats override the premium doing away with the lumbar?
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Member Posts: 14
    For all that are interested, BMW told me that the Nokia 6300 (new phone) is not on the compatablity list for bluetooth. I had one checked out and I now bought one. It works well with my 2005 BMW X5. Its a great little thin phone too.
  • christineechristinee Member Posts: 1
    I am in a state of confusion over whether to buy a used 2005 BMW X5 for approx. U$30k, 50k miles, in superb condition (the owner is a close friend and car fanatic) with every possible optional that you can think of...I wont bore you with the list. I have been driving Land Rover Discoverys for the past 10 years and am so very tired of them but having never bought a used vehicle before, I'm worried whether its a good idea to buy this one. I only drive SUVs but lately have the desire for something more which I know the BMW X5 will give me. I tend to hold on to cars for awhile (2-4 years) and I guess my concern is buying a car that is already 3 years old!! I am always concerned that there will be a major restyling and that I'm driving around in an outdated car. Please help me decide what to do??? Thanks in advance for any advice
    I have a 2005 x5 and for some reason, my two keys for memory seats recently developed some lack in memory where it doesn't move my seats back to the original keys if the car sits overnight.

If I did it whilst not overnight, it works just fine; by moving the seats to the appropriate keys. Any one have any idea on why this recent memory problems?
    50k is a bit high in mileage, but if he took care of the car well and you trust him; then do it!
  • pantaleonepantaleone Member Posts: 9
    If anyone has this option that you order from the factory can you please tell me what it is like?

Does the cable plug into a jack in the arm rest? Does it replace the aux input that comes factory or is it another input like a USB connection? Trying to figure this option out? Thank you
  • 07x5er07x5er Member Posts: 1
    Actually, if you read his post again he was talking about 580K as the total X5 production ever, not for the '07 model year. But I agree with your other points.
  • cabluecablue Member Posts: 48
    Since you've got the 4.8i, would you let me know what kind of gas mileage you're getting? I've seen somewhere that people are getting around 13! If that's the case, I'm going to pass, but I feel it sure needs the extra power. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :shades:
    Yes, I can do that. I have an idea but since this is important to you, I will get the actual numbers and email you again.
    To everyone,
    I haven't been on here in awhile but my problems continue. I think I got a lemon. I have this 2007 X5 in the shop every other week: accordian shade for the sun-roof fell off, the adaptive headlights failed repeatedly, the emergency release latch broke for the tailgate broke and hangs there (too much cheap plastic on a car costing this much), not to mention the factory recalls for "hood clip corrosion", and a necessary "transmission software update".
    Too many small and medium problems to mention here. My hope is that all of these bugs get ironed out in the next model year or two because I would buy another one. The power, stying, sportiness, comfort and amenities are great! And, of course, its a BMW.
  • jeffk9jeffk9 Member Posts: 22
    Hi, I have a 07 X5 4.8i, sport package, with 1400 miles. In addition to radio and traffic report problems, I have been having noise from under car. Dealer thought anti sway bar..after 20 somethings days in shop...picked up yesterday still have light thumping noise from under car with bumps or agressive steering but also now have metal on metal grinding noise when turning or steering car at 25mph plus. Has anyone had similar problem ?
    All those problems must be incredibly frustrating. Hopefully your dealer is effective at fixing them.

I've had zero defects since taking delivery of a 2007 4.8i in December 2006 (unless you count the fact that the vehicle was delivered with bamboo wood trim everywhere except on one rear door that had burled walnut trim, which was easy to swap out.) I don't think I would be as forgiving as you have been if I had all those problems.
  • keithcrnakeithcrna Member Posts: 1
    I returned mine after the SAME problem, 28 days is the shop, replaced entire steering rack, Still have the same noise, only worse. They tell me it's normal. I requested a buyback from BMW since I complained about it from day one.
  • piperjackpiperjack Member Posts: 14
    Hi all

I need a recommendations for a good independent BMW mechanic in San Diego (work in Del Mar, live in UTC)

Thanks in advance!
    I understand what you are saying. I'm not terribly bothered by the oil usage. Thanks.
  • vicu1vicu1 Member Posts: 2
    Is it a 3.0,4.4 or 4.8?
  • vicu1vicu1 Member Posts: 2
    I`m about to close on an `04 X5 w/59K miles and warranty up to 100K miles (or extra 2.5 years),due to being a certified vehicle.Is this certification really worth the money?I read the brochure and it shows a lot of mandane parts as not being covered (e.g. the sound system,etc.).The car is nice,got everything but Nav and Sport pkg. (I guess..what`s in the sport pkg. anyways?).It`s very clean and I`m buying through a referal at $26K (was told that the price is a steal...).Would this be considered a good buy?
  • roncar01roncar01 Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I are considering purchasing a X5. It is hard to tell from the forums and reviews what the concensus view is on the vehicle. Looks like it has a lot of mechanical issues that take any from 2 weeks to a month fix. Can anyone give a recommendation?
  • elliottpelliottp Member Posts: 3
    My X5 is 2 months old. It is the best luxury truck I have ever owned. It is flawless. I test drove all the high end models. If you investigate(go back 3 years) all the forums for BMW,Range Rover, Porshe,Audi and Touareg-I think you will conclude that BMW is the least in problems.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Please, don't forget the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX470 or the 2008 LX570
    I own a 2006 LX470 and is problem free.
    I love my X5 but I have had to have it in the shop A LOT! It looks, feels, and drives like a BMW which is good. Maybe all of the problems I encounter are because it is the first year of the new design (2007). If you get one, definitely get the 2008 model.
    BMW posted the first official detailed description of the new X6 on their website on December 15, 2007. The current URL is:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/FutureVehicles/X6/Default.aspx

Note the new twin turbo V-8 that makes 400 hp and 450 ft lb of toque. That engine also will appear in the new 7 series and probably in a 5.0is performance version of the X5. I saw the X6 in South Carolina on a test track back in August and have been watching for the announcement. My dealer says they still don't know exactly when production slots for an X6 will be available, but I put my name on the list now.

An X6 discussion group will probably be needed soon.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    I Agree we need a X6 discussion, I have been reading for years in magazines abt the X6 finally its here and coming in 2008, I am sure it will be much better looking in person then the pictures,The only thing bothers my abt the X6 in that its longer then the X5 I just hope it doesn't feel to long to feel like a long limo on the roads, When i saw the first time new X5 in magazines i didn't even bother reading abt it, after seeing on the roads, Its 1of my favo cars today.

I really like to hear what else went wrong with ur x5 (apbtlvrx4)
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Please help me!!! Convinced it could go offroad, i took my x5 up and down some steep dirt hills in my area to test out the hill descent, and at the bottom were some HUGE potholes that were impossible to get around. when i went through them, i could feel the bottom hit the ground and a huge THUD. now, whenever i accelerate moderatley (pedal atleast half in) there is definate reverberation felt through the gas pedal and a noise in the in the engine or exhaust or somewhere when i accelerate (i have a 4.4i by the way, 2004) that definatley wasnt there before, it used to run much more smoothly. Please help!! Have i just completeley ruined my car, or has something just come loose?!?!?! I looked at the undercarriage and couldnt see any damage, so now im freaking out because i JUST bought the car. Please, if anyone has any idea what might have happened to my car please help!
    Thanks so much!!
  • bgricebgrice Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with intermittent air loss in the left front only. We swapped front air lines and the problem is still on the left front. It sometimes will hold for days, and then sometimes it leaks down after sitting for only a few hours. As soon as the height-adjustable air suspension button is pushed, it will raise the air bag and will continue to hold air while driving. It does have a vague metallic clunking noise occasionally when driving, more pronounced when the air pressure in the bag has gone down. One tech at a dealer has said that once the shock was run with the air bag deflated, it is done (as far as the shock). Can they be rebuilt, or does the entire strut have be replaced (like the dealer would have you believe). :(
  • bmw_dreambmw_dream Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, thanks for reading...planning to buy BMW X5 as it was my dream to own a BMW X5...Can some one please let me know if this will be a good one to own?
    45k miles on it, sport pkg, premium, 19" wheels,nav, pan.moon roof,...it has all the required things I am looking for...questions are
    1) 24k is a good price to pay for this?
    2) On avg, how much will be my maintenance for this vehicle?
    3) any frequent and known issues on this model?
    4) how soon it will be out-dated in the market?
    5) re-sale value after 2 yrs from now

Thanks for your help and advise