Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Navigation systems that show local traffic conditions are nice when they're accurate. That's not always the case in our Porsche 911.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    I've had the misfortune of traveling in areas with ridiculous amounts of traffic & have come to the conclusion that living near large population centers literally consumes your life. The time wasted in transit is truly a waste.
    I'm sure if you never lived in a rural area, you don't know the difference, but it would take an incredible salary to lure me near a large city.
    I'm just not built for 90 + min. commutes that cover 30 miles. God bless you guys in Atlanta, SoCal, Florida.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    There's been an ongoing debate on the Edmunds comments about the merits of living in the LA area. This is definitely one in the con side, and a major reason why I'm considering leaving. What I have noticed, if the traffic report has gotten around to reporting an incident, by that time it has been cleared up but now everyone else is taking alternate routes, so take the route where the jam is reported and you'll have relatively smooth sailing.
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    Google Maps app on my phone is VERY accurate here in the Northeast corridor.
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    To me, this is why I'm not interested in purchasing (that and BIG $) car navigation systems. They are a decade behind the times. If it can't connect to Google (and Google owns Waze now as well), it's going to be unreliable at best.
  • opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    oh look, another use google response. Do you people ever travel on roads without a data signal? Or on roads with slow data?

get out
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    I always have data service when I drive between DC and Boston...only place I need Google Maps to work. If I'm in middle of nowhere West By God Virginia with no cell service traffic is not usually a problem.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I agree that a long commute is a soul-sucking exercise that will probably take years off your life. However, I do not live in the country, I live in Los Angeles. That's the thing -- I made the smart choice to live near my work, instead of moving out to the sticks so that I could go into debt for 30 years to live in a more "affordable" house. People choose to live in the suburbs as a quality of life issue, but fail to include the commute in their QOL calculation. I live in a nice urban neighborhood among decent people, and I am NOT rich (dual-income, though), so I am proof that there is an alternative.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    misterfusion, good on you that you can have two income earners in and both have jobs nearby. That's really the difficult thing in LA though. We're a two income family, and I can bike to work, but my wife has to drive over an hour to get to her job 30 miles away - and that's only an hour because her commute isn't during rush hour. I wish we could BOTH live near our jobs, but that's impossible. One job is in one neighborhood, the other job is in another, and we (like most married couples) enjoy sharing the same housing unit.
  • jlh3jlh3 Member Posts: 14
    @misterfusion

Please don't forget several things play into where people work and live. I have been driving 100 miles a day for the past 7 years for my job. Why don't I move closer, well I like living close to my family members. Now that I have been marri