Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Day 2 of our road trip to New York in our 2013 Porsche 911 sees our 991-generation make it out of Colorado with unplanned stopover in Topeka, Kansas.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Yikes! Getting sick on a roadtrip is not fun. Best wishes on speedy recovery.

It's been years since I drove US 24 east of the environs of Colorado Springs. Don't the traffic lights (and cops) drop off to near zero as you get out of town and into the high plains? It's some pretty remote country out there... or at least it was, years ago.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Driving while sick is no fun tending towards dangerous. You are doing the right thing by calling a halt. Once I started going down with the flu just after starting a 170 trip across England and I felt like I had done the Dakar by the time I reached my destination.
  • ericheseriches Member Posts: 80
    @ darth: Thanks. The traffic lights died down eventually, but the flow of traffic remained slow, because the state trooper coverage remained.
    Define "slow". Do you mean running at the speed limit? How badly limited are the roads there? They allow 70 on two-lane (one in each direction for the freeway junkies) roads in Nevada. Is Colorado as enlightened or are they like CA with lots of 55 still about.
  • justinsrqjustinsrq Member Posts: 6
    Erin, all my best, driving when you feel bad is the worst.
    @ agentorange: U.S. 24 was posted at 45, 55 and 65 on the section I drove. What was most frustrating is that just outside Colorado Springs, the speed limit would repeatedly go up to 65 mph, but then I'd have to stop at red lights. I'm sure this used to be
    Eeeww, that blows chunks, especially when you are feeling crappy. I know from experience that 55mph can be frustrating but it's not too bad if there are no lights. If the Google info has not been updated for a while then it may not accurately estimate the journey time in that area. Sadly these days, the pretty or interesting route is often many hours slower than the superslab. Hope you feel better.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    That sounds absolutely brutal =/
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Really, though...even without the sickness, do you feel that that kind of drive in that timeframe is worth doing, or that it's just kind of a stunt? What is your boss going to say? I don't know, but if anyone else's boss sends him off to do 954 miles in one day, alone, the ICC is gonna get involved. Just for some perspective.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    Caught something at that Super 8... J/k! You have consistently responded to comments and I (and Super 8) appreciate that.

No place like home when you are sick. Being stuck at a hotel? Yikes...
    @ fordson1: I do feel that this kind of drive is worth doing, because it's an opportunity to learn a lot about a car in a relatively short period of time. Granted, it would absolutely be more relaxing to stretch it out over 5 or 6 days (plus, I'd be able
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    My hat is off to you...I find that for the last 200 miles or so I am just having white-line fever. The car could have lost a wheel and I would just adapt and grind it out. I don't think my finer automotive sensibilities would come into play at that point in time.
  • eclogiteeclogite Member Posts: 48
    You bought a tuna sub from *that* Subway?? Yikes. Talk about rolling the dice...
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Those huge wheels have caused this 911 to jump the shark - looks ridiculous on top of the ride and practical compromises.