Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

There are positives and negatives to the 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera's engine.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    A high revving naturally aspirated engine that sings to redline is the only kind of engine that belongs in a sports car.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I realiz rhe Porsche is an expensive car, but even in this price range a sub 5 second 0-60 should qualify as more than just 'respectible'
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I agree with Brent. People buy hp but they drive torque. Plenty of FA engines that sing to redline now and more coming down the pike all the time.
  • Options
    mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    FA? Fully Aspirated? :) Porsche overgeared it for MPG (0.617:1 top gear w/3.55:1 final drive) IMHO. That "high torque" C7 is geared to tepidness too, isn't it? 1700rpm@80mph! Meanwhile, my 360 has almost identical peak torque to the 3.4 in the Carrera but it's geared (0:85:1 6th, 4.44:1 rear) for 3750rpm@80mph, 1000rpm shy of torque peak. It accelerates adequately in top gear though fuel economy is nothing to write home about.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    +1 duck87
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    There are no con's to this engine. It's a wonderful engine and only lacking in torque due to unreasonably high expectations set by other, really good engines in the marketplace.

I'd still buy the Carrera S but even that is down on torque when compared to the C7 and others.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    mfennell: Don't forget that we're now in the age of 7-speed manuals and 8-speed automatics, where those last couple of gears are just low-ratio highway eaters. Unless I'm mistaken, the Z51 7-speed C7 is similar, if a little less aggressively geared, to your 360. In fact, your sixth @0.85:1 is pretty similar to the corvette's fifth @0.84:1. The last two are of course geared for hyper milling @0.56:1 and 0.42:1 respectively. The first two in your 360 are surprisingly high by the way, but that's probably because of the (relatively) low torque. Just an excuse to make her scream right?
  • Options
    dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    Ridiculous. Edmund's own 2013 Tesla Model S will absolutely smoke that little Porsche. Since when does a company with a 100 year history of racing and German Performance Engines get its butt kicked by some four-door 4500lb electric car created in a software lab in the Bay Area? Pony up, Porsche.
  • Options
    bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    i'm with Mfenell horsepower and weight is one thing but when you have a car the is not geared like a street car that is a whole different experience. my most recent example i can think of is the fiat 500 abarth you was right on the power no waiting it's top speed is only 140 but in a car that small going 90 is almost a white knucke expereince and it was still pulling strong so i believe it could make it. i put slightly smaller diameter tires on my truck a long time ago and it was like i had tons more torque out of the hole all of the sudden.
  • Options
    mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    @quadricycle: Yep, absolutely! :) 8500rpm means those short gears can still get to reasonable speeds. I love the way it's geared - you can spin through 3 gears with a reasonable expectation of staying out of jail and there are no big we-gotta-hit-CAFE
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Ok , so it needs to drop down a few gears to get max overtaking thrust. But doesn't the gear box in this car do that automatically when you floor it? The ones i have driven react almost instantaneously to your twitchy foot. In a very very good way.

So this post entry really is about reading spec sheets, not actually driving the car. Floor it in this car and it freakin flies.