Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• ms_joannems_joanne Member Posts: 69
    Day running lights is an standard option (make sense? ) It is an item that is standard on all vehicles, but it has to be activated by the dealer when the vehicle arrives as the vehicle will arrive with this option deactivated.
  • rdl3rdl3 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 4.4i. I am in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Can anyone give me any idea whether dealers are now discounting 4.4i's, particularly when they have to be ordered, and, as a general matter, if you all have been getting discounts, can you give me an order of magnitude, i.., $1000, $1500 or what? I appreciate the help. I can find out what the invoice price is, but I just have no idea whether anyone is actually dealing on these things.
  • magic9magic9 Member Posts: 1
    I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH RATTLES IN THE CARGO AREA AND WHAT THEY DID ABOUT FIXING THEM.
  • mchap11mchap11 Member Posts: 1
    I am located in St. Louis, MO area and am ready to purchase X-5 3.0 today. Looking for Pearl beige w/ sand or pearl green int,auto trans, heated steering wheel, activity/climate/premium pkgs, dimmer mirrors, lumbar, xenon & business CD. May be willing to travel. Anyone know good dealers with this in inventory and wanting to deal?
  • germandoggermandog Member Posts: 8
    There is a dealer outside of chicago who has that car in inventory. PATRICK BMW.... (unless they sold that particular car today). They are located in schaumburg, IL.
  • hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    Would like to get everyone's thoughts on the quote I just got to determined if it is a good deal?
    X5 with Steptronic, Xenon, In-dash CD, Self dimmer Mirrors, PP, Activity Package, Climate Package. $2,375 off MSRP, with 36/36000 lease from BMW, $612 a month with $31,300 residual value.
    Any response are greatly appreciated.
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    Good point - you must ask your dealer to activate this "standard" -no extra cost- option.
  • ltrinkltrink Member Posts: 1
    I've been shopping around and that sounds like a great deal. What dealership is that through, because i'd like to give them a call if they are in my area (New York).
  • gemni1gemni1 Member Posts: 12
    I spoke with a dealer and they told me that I needed to put down a $1,000 deposit to place an order for an X5, there aren't any on the floor, because they sell so fast!

Does this amount sound logical to you? Were you asked to put down a deposit, if so, how much? I just want to make sure that I'm dealing with good people before I cough up the money. Thanks a lot!
  • germandoggermandog Member Posts: 8
    I went to several dealers and NONE of them asked me to put money down on the car. I ended up purchasing and STILL did not have to put money on the car. AND I DID ORDER A CAR, IT WAS NOT IN INVENTORY!!!!!!!!!!
    I would not put money into a deposit. My personal opinion is that it is not necessary and the dealer is trying to make sure he has your business and you dot go anywhere else.
    For what its worth...
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    To Gemini1

I only put down $500.00 for my X5/3.0 in December 2000. I pick up the car today.
    I live in Boston and all the dealer that I check is only required 500.00 deposit. When the car arrive and for any reason if I change my mind I can take back full deposit.
    Make sure using your credit card for deposit. Do not use your personal check.

Good luck
  • hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    To Itrink:

The dealer I am dealing with is in Cleveland area, David's BMW in Solon Ohio.

To Gemni1:

My dealer never ask me for any deposit more than $500 when I am ready to sign the paper. Currently, the X5 sales is not as heavy as last fall, in fact, in my dealer, they have several in the lot and none of them meets my color selection.
    I have never heard of taking an order with no deposit. My dealer asked me for $1000.00 which I refused...I told him that was too much of my money to give him for 2+ months. I offered $250.00 and we settled at $500.00. I am sure if I had pushed I could have gotten it at the $250.00 but it wasn't worth the effort. Interest on the $250.00 wasn't going to kill me and I figured I would hold my arguments for something that makes more sense. Kind of choosing my battles wisely, as it were.

Good luck!

Joanne
    We were asked to put down $500.00 when we ordered the car last Sept. It completely refundable. Use credit card.

I know of a Porsche dealers asking for $1K deposit and then when your car is ready to be built, they want a total of 10% down. I ran, not walked from the dealer.
    I would have, too. Nothing like having to give them that much of your money for them to use while they build and deliver a car. I DON'T THINK SO!
  • tuan5tuan5 Member Posts: 4
    I see no big deal with putting down $1K for the initial deposit. It makes good business sense. It prevents some Joe Smoe from putting his name on the waiting list all over town. If you are serious about buying an X5, having a 1K deposit for several months while it's being ordered seem reasonable. If you put that money in the bank, it'll earn you enough money for a happy meal. If you need money for a happy meal then perhaps the X5 is not for you.

We are not talking about a non-refundable deposit !! I look at it from a different persepective. Having a $1K deposit is like finding some money in your coat pocket ... it's your money all along but it's kinda nice to find it when the time comes.
  • x5loux5x5loux5 Member Posts: 7
    Took delivery of my X5 3.0, silver, black interior, auto trans, climate pkg, pdc, premium pkg, in dash cd. One week and almost 700 miles. I make excuses to go on errands etc just to drive.alot. This site helped alot to make me more aware of issues and potential problems.Thanks. I will post more as the miles pile up. 1st impression:
    1 THIS IS A GREAT SAV. Don't let the problems posted scare you away.Test drove the Lexus and Accura. The X5 is the best by far.
    2 The standard stero is ok.but not great. My AM reception is not great, I get static [ Long Island NY]
    3.Paid MSRP at Rallye.Am happy that some of you are getting discounts.
    Happy driving!
    Lou
    Hi Ms Joanne,

Since you owned an X5/3.0i, did you see this problem:
    I just pickup my X5/3.0i few days ago. I find out that my SAV's Automatic transmission indicator light at the shift level does not go out after door are lock and alarm turn on. It stays on all day and night. I speak to sale man and technician at the dealer, but they do not have clear answer. Tech service guy tell me that this light consume very low energy, if I have not problem of starting the car in the next morning, I shoul not worry about it. But the video tape that come with the SAV indicate that all the interior light should goes off after 10-15 min, when all doors are lock and the alarm is on. I check few X5/3.0i at the dealer, the indicator light go out after all doors are close.

Do you any ideal? Any help is appreciate.
    Ours stays on also. I checked other X5 on my dealers lot and the light stayed. Some owners have reported that their light goes out after a few minutes. So far this has not caused a problem.
  • arh4arh4 Member Posts: 3
    I've been driving my 3.0 X5 since June, 12,900miles and have experienced only a couple of minor problems. As stated on other posting, my X5 too died intermittently when turning left at slow speeds. The dealer in Houston sent the computer back to BMW to be upgraded and I've had no problems since.

To the person with that had heated air coming out of the wrong vents, I have hot air coming out of the rear vents behind the armrest when cold air is coming out of the dash vents. The dealer was of no help and told me it was fine. I resolved to live with this issue as it is the only nagging problem I've had. Overall, I think it's a great vehicle but overpriced for the standard features it offers when compared to the RX, Acura and ML.
    I haven't experienced it myself but I have seen it mentioned before. I remember that it was somewhere on www.bimmer.org/x5/messages so if you do a search there you should be able to get an answer to your query. I never noticed if mine went off right at the turn off or if it dimmed after time. I will look next time I think of it. In the meantime, check out bimmer.org.

Good luck!
  • sell2sell2 Member Posts: 1
    Planning to buy a 3.0 X5 soon, but trying to decide on options. I've heard the leatherette is virtually the same, but maybe more durable. Less susceptable to cracks/scratches? Is leatherette colored on top surface or throughout the fabric? Leatherette may better handle the rapid temp changes over the years of heated seats? We have a leatherette couch in our basement that is basically kid-proof. Bottom line... I'm willing to pay for what's best.
    I liked the leather, too. I didn't see that it was worth $1450.00 PLUS all the care it required. I have other people take care of stuff like that as I simply do not have the time...but why have extra if you don't have to?

As for the color being through and through, sorry, I'm not willing to cut into mine to determine that. Honestly, I don't know...and don't know where you could get that answer. Try asking a BMW sales person. They will be able to find out if nothing else.

Good luck!

J
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Anyone done Eurodelivery? I'm planning to get the M3 (on order). It is planned that they are going to start to have Eurodelivery starting for MY2002.

Do I have to tell my dealer now?
    Is this a quicker method?
    How do they handle trade ins? How should I expect to handle it or ask them to handle it?

Robert
    My trans light stays on all the time.
    Did anyone notice the small red lights in the overhead console? They go on with the exterior lights and throw a little light on the center console. Did I miss this in the manual? I'm still reading>
    Saw another X5 at a stoplight. We both agreed this is a great SAV.
    I notice that Jeep drivers and others are doing alot of staring at the X5!
  • docbumdocbum Member Posts: 1
    #108 seems like you got a great deal for $612/month. Did you put any money down? where is your dealer?
  • jagsmithjagsmith Member Posts: 2
    there is really no big deal about deposits on vehicles. It is really a very old concept. It is done partly to filter out those that are not particularly serious about the vehicle and also to prevent you a prospective buyer from going all over the place to put their name on a list. This is especially true on much sought after autos. If you are against it then go elsewhere. Good dealers will accept that point of view.
  • jagsmithjagsmith Member Posts: 2
    BMW has an independent temperature control rolling knob in the middle of the dash. If you roll the knob up, it increases the temperature and if you roll the knob down it decreases the temperature. It is therefore possible to get cold air from the vents in the middle of the dash while you are getting warm air elsewhere. Yor climate control must be on though. The dealer should know this though... This should be on X5.
  • bkfurnbkfurn Member Posts: 7
    I gladly put down my $500 deposit. Only have to wait 6 weeks for an X5 to be built to order. It's worth it not to worry that you'll get it, as it is a hot seller! As mentioned by others, it is completely refundable, and you have the protection of the credit card, just in case. It will be like "found money" on delivery day!
  • bkfurnbkfurn Member Posts: 7
    I test drove 3.0 and 4.4 extensively. With and without sport pkg. on each. Pricing and better fuel economy on the 3.0 makes it very tempting, and you don't even have to pay extra for the standard shadow line trim. However, Since I'm coming off a 2 year lease on my 540I I/sport pkg. Driving the 4.4 I/sport was the hands down winner. Clearly worth the extra $ for the smooth power and acceleration. The 19" rims and sport tires are nice, but have lousy winter traction, so I bought a set of 3.0 18" rims to mount some Blizzaks to for winter seasons to come. Can't wait for delivery in March!
    To X5loux5,

I have a similar Trans light on all the time.
    I check with other from the the bimmer.org, the recommendation is having the dealer replace the "Directional Indicator".
    I contact the services tech from my dealer,about this problem. He then contact BMW North America, the answer is the latest build X5 , light always on and it is normal.
    My is build in Jan 2001. X5/3.0i
  • danm8danm8 Member Posts: 5
    Had my X5, 4.4 spt since August. Love it except for the lousy performance of wipers. Drove through a blizzard last Sunday and the wipers were terrible. Squeek like hell and don't clean the windshield very well. Mentioned during last service visit and they supposedly corrected them, but worse than ever. I've had some really cheap crappy cars over the years but I think these wipers are the worst. A shame.
  • docdave14docdave14 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for any feedback from owners of the 4.4 X5 who have the 19" wheels. How is it in the snow and ice? Has anyone changed to the 18" wheels and put snow tires on or all season radials? I'm picking mine up on 2/10/01
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    BMW states that the performance tires/19" wheel combination included with the Sport package is "not intended for winter/snow usage". I myself have test driven the Sport Package equipped V8 X5 in 2-3 of inches of snow in an empty parking lot and there was plenty of sliding (understeer and oversteer). Oversteer - fish tailing - is exacerbated because of the X5's uneven permanent AWD torque split (32% front/68% rear). DSC constantly and significantly reduced the X5's forward momentum due to the lack of traction.

Most X5 owners with this combination (V8 Sport Pkg) have also found driving very tricky due to the lack of traction from the Sport package dry/wet weather performance tires on even a little bit of snow. I even recall someone recently spinning 180 degrees. That scared him enough and he ordered the winter tire package. So do yourself a favour and do the same. You don't want to have to learn the hard way just to save some money (albeit not a small amount).

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • genamangenaman Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for an X5 3.0 in NY area, and I was wondering what the best deals off MSRP that people are getting.
    to ctk1: My X5 3.0 is also a Jan 2001 build date, so I guess the trans light is supposed to stay on, but I can't imagine why.
    to danm8: My wipers do a great job of clearing the windshield. However they are noisy, it sounds like when you scrape ice off of the windshield with a scraper! But they seem to be getting more quiet now.I would insist to BMW that they replace the entire arm if necessary. Maybe the arm pressure is not strong enough to press the blade against the windshield.
    Two weeks and 1000 miles and I'm loving every mile.
    Paid MSRP at Rallye Motors , Roslyn, Long Island.Ordered in Dec 2000, so they were not discounting. But they threw in a full set of rubber mats, and gave me a model of the X5, small compensation for paying MSRP on an expensive SAV. My sales rep.,Nick Soldo, said they might start discounting if you are willing to wait. Good luck.
    Lou
  • egrandegrand Member Posts: 14
    Anyone know about a 2002 BMW "XL" extended wheel base with larger interior? Will there be a third seat? Thanks if any info known. Rumors OK too. Elliot
  • tclubtclub Member Posts: 22
    I've now seen a few X5 on dealership lots, does anyone know who in the No. VA area may make deal on these or is MSRP the best I can hope for?
    Contact Fred Meloan at BMW of Arlington (which used to be Heishmann BMW). I don't have his number at my figertips but you can find it locally, I am sure. Fred is the internet manager and a SUPER guy!

Tell him Joanne sent you!

Good luck!!
  • morecarlmorecarl Member Posts: 4
    The largest true "winter" tires I have found are 17" Michelin Pilot Alpin and 17" Dunlop Winter Sport M2.
    I have noticed some posts about 18" snow tires, what kinds of tires are being used?

I've seen posts about Pirelli Scorpion tires. I believe that these are classified as all season tires. How have these performed? Which type of Scorpion was used Zero or S/T?

Thanks for any and all input.
  • vasylvasyl Member Posts: 9
    We picked up our '93 325is in Munich. The procedure is essentially handled by the dealer. For the German made cars they gave you a 10% break on the price (usually close to what you could negotiate here) and provide you with insurance while in Europe (EU countries only). You don't really save any money other than it's really great to drive around in your own car. The down side is that you ave to put on a few thousand kilometers for break-in before you can go over say 70mph, which puts you in the "slow" lane.

America is the best country on earth but we have the suckiest drivers. Imagine cruising comfortably at 100-110 MPH (safely) and not encountering the left lane asswhipes going 55 with no intention to move over! And when the light turns green people actually take off. Here in the South Texas area everything is mostly flat and straight (it's hard to shake an F-150 or Suburban) so being in the mountains of Switzerland or country roads in France puts a lot more emphasis on handling and braking and sometimes your nerves (try the rotary around the Arc de Triomphe!) In other words it's an absolute blast to drive.

Anyway sorry to stray form the subject. This is the X5 board after all,which by the way leads me to say that I heard you can arrange for European delivery of your X5!! But no break price wise. So just skip on down to your prefered BMW dealer who will do all the preparations, finance etc and simply specify when you will arrive in Munich and where and when you will leave your car upon returning to the states ( they give you several locations to pick from). When you arrive your car will have the European radio as well as the mandatory first aid kit and roadside reflector - the later 2 you must take before dropping the car off.

BMW has an information package detailing all the above. And oops almost forgot that pesky import duty (a few hundred bucks if I remember correctly). Your car winds up back at the dealer (with the US radio) in about a month.

Well this was the deal in '93, so please check the details directly- suppose you can find it online. Hope this helps.

With "Der Schlickmeister" Out and GW In, we may even have a chance to afford our X5 and pick it up in Europe later this year.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Errr...FYI, the BMW X5 is made in Spartenburg, SC. You won't have to go all of the way to Germany to pick up the vehicle :-) Unfortunately, I don't think factory delivery is available as of yet.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Seems like alot of X5 problems that the dealers take forever to fix or can't fix! Is this still happening. Things like wind noise, electrical, cutting off, & poor fit? Ms_Joanne have you had these on your X5? I do plan to contact Fred Meloan.
    So far I have been very lucky. I have not had a single problem with my X. Not all X5's have problems, to be honest, I think it is the minority of them that do, but with that said, if I coughed up a ton of cash (which I did) for this car and had lots of niggling problems (which is what seems to be the most prevalent) I would have a friggin' cow and I would be unbelievably vocal. I don't dismiss a word that anyone says because I can only imagine how I would feel, as stated.

I had my car serviced yesterday for a recall (no problems, thankfully) and the guy told me that my car was the best X5 he had ever driven (they have a service where they come get my car, leave me one, bring mine in for service, and then return mine and get theirs...AWESOME SERVICE!! That alone made the purchase worthwhile!!) So again, I consider myself very lucky that my X is, thus far, pretty darned perfect. It was a good day in Spartansburg the day my baby was built...cause that car rocks more than any I have ever owned. WHEW! I swear I get high driving it!

Joanne (who is totally smitten with her car )
    What Dealerships in the No. VA area do folks recommend for the BEST service? Ms_Joanne - do you get yours serviced at Patrick in Chicago?
    According to my very knowledgeable source at BMW of Houston North, X5's are available for delivery in Europe. Spartenburg produces X5s not only for the domestic market but also for all of BMW's worldwide locations. At the factory you can see right hand drive X5's for say Australia/UK and colors / options not available here. Essentially the transport vessels have a lot of room heading east so no problem to get your X5 a ride. Lead time however is I believe about 6 weeks to make the arrangements, so it's something you cannot do on the spur of the moment.

Naturally it's easier to buy the car here. But if you can spend a few weeks in Europe -it's more fun than you can imagine. Renting this type of vehicle would be almost impossible and very expensive for something similar. Even a couple of weeks would set you back about a grand. If you ever wanted to tour Germany, Austria, Switzerland or France your just a days ride out of Munich. Go in September/October when rates are lower - Remember Octoberfest is at the end of Sept -not Oct!
    And I use Knauz for a backup as they are closer to me. I will probably have them detail the vehicle once the winter is over so I can get all the salt residue out of the carpets and such. Mechanical stuff I will have Patrick do, though, because the Red Star service is available for as long as I own the vehicle.

As for picking up an X5 in Germany I don't see the sense in that as they would have to pay for shipping it over there and then pay for it to be shipped back here again...not to mention salt air that would be on it twice. I don't think it would be worth it. Save the extra grand it would cost and go visit BMW over there and drive one of their vehicles on the Autobahn. That just doesn't seem logical to me. :)
    The "grand" I refered to was about how much you'd pay for a rental car in Europe for 2 weeks - there much more expensive than here. There are no shipping costs added. Wouldn't worry about sea salt - you'd have more exposure from some McDonald fries in the back seat than you would experience on a modern ocean transporter.

Obviously not for everyone , but if you ever wanted to vacation in Europe it's not as crazy as you might think.
  • rrroyrrrroyr Member Posts: 1
    OK, I'm ready. Help me make the best decision. I'd love an X5. 4.4
    Are "they" dealing at all? I'm fine with the Fairfax dealer, any other suggestions?
    This 19" wheel business has me nervious, whats the best option?
  • wjmarsdenwjmarsden Member Posts: 1
    Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley, NY just sold me a 4.4 with the options I wanted for $1,500 below MSRP for delivery in 4-6 weeks. No hassle. Just go to wideworldofcars.com and ask for Michael Speranza. Tell him William sent you. If you have a frequent flyer account at US Airways you can also get 15,000 bonus miles if you buy through this dealership. Go to www.carmiles.com/usairways before you buy.