Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Porsche 911 Turbo First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2014 Porsche 911 Turbo First Drive

We get behind the wheel of the 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo to see if 500-plus horsepower makes for a better sports car, or merely better bragging rights.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    But this one goes to 11. That's why some people buy it for no other reason than that.
  • Options
    themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    This ends any further Corvette vs 911 BS
  • Options
    06sti06sti Member Posts: 17
    I've lusted after 911 turbos since I was a kid. This latest fat-arsed cartoon car has finally cured me.
  • Options
    engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    Wow, an estimated 0 to 60 of around 2.5 seconds is insane. I would probably still choose the 911 Carrera S with the normally aspirated engine however. Based on the article, the normally aspirated engine in the 911 Carrera S and the Cayman S are more pleasing to listen to. Also, the 911 Turbo does not appear to be more rewarding to drive than lesser 911s. I would prefer rewarding driving dynamics and a pleasing engine sound over the ability to cruise comfortably at 150 mph. This is an incredible car none the less.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    What about the base Carrera - doesn't it have the same engine as the Cayman S? I would think that engine would sound magnificent, and you are more likely to wring it out on the streets, right?
  • Options
    True, and the base Carrera is also more affordable than the S.
  • Options
    BTW, some pictures of the engine bay would have been nice.
  • Options
    compressorcompressor Member Posts: 0
    The 911 Turbo always was a GT car and this is no different. The "results" are the same whenever a Turbo comes out. It is faster, but not more engaging. Which should be expected since that was the point.

The 911 Turbo is Porsche's answer to someone that wants an Autobahn missle, but doesn't want a large car (ala E63, S8, Panamera) for whatever reason (sportiness, no need for the size...)
  • Options
    rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    I don't know that I'd call it "fat-arsed," since the turbo has always been wider, even though this is a little on the extreme side. I think it still looks great. I guess we all have our notions of what updated models of any given car should morph into in our perfect worlds. My issue is all the tech wizardry in the car. In the past, not everyone would be able to drive any 911 (and to an extent any Porsche required a certain degree of skill) and now it's disappointing to know my mother, who couldn't even drive a manual xmsn could have handled these now. I'm thinking that Porsche is catering to the North American market exclusively and is forgetting that those who want a Subaru aren't going to be in the market for a 911 anyway. On the brighter side, say what you want, but how about a show of hands for this: Who wouldn't want to sample this for half a day anyway? Be honest.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I got the impression that the writer was disappointed to be driving a 911 Turbo that did not try to kill him at regular intervals. Back in the 80s the new money yuppies were flinging these off the road in large numbers because of the tricky handling. Maybe Andrew Frankel misses those days.
  • Options
    shoesus27shoesus27 Member Posts: 14
    Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

( http://www.shoes2.us// )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.

http://www.shoes2.us/Michael-Kors-Handbags-n2447/