Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Subaru BRZ Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Subaru

image2013 Subaru BRZ Long Term Road Test

Read daily updates on our long-term road test of the 2013 Scion FR-S and follow along as our editors live with this car for a year.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    The stick shifter in the Civic Si can sometimes be notchy/touchy in cold weather, but for the most part it feels like a well greased mechanical component. Very nice, but the S2000 takes this to another level.

I've had experience with the WRX shifter and I have to agree with the "notchiness" comment. Sorta long throw (compared to the Hondas), takes a bit of effort, and really isn't anywhere as refined and smooth as you can feel the shift forks engaging in a clunky fashion, but they're very accurate.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I can understand why a car with a transaxle would have questionable shifter action - the tranny is far removed from the shifter and has to be activated by long linkages of various types.

In a car where the shifter basically pokes right down into the tranny, poor shifter action is inexcusable. And doubly so with an engine that demands frequent shifting.

The shifter in an S2000 is wonderful, but it SHOULD be wonderful. The shifter in a Civic Si is a miracle.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Sometimes I think a shifter can be too smooth and not give you quite the right feedback that you hit that gear. I kinda like a bit of notchiness. Makes it feel more mechanical.
  • mnorm1_mnorm1_ Member Posts: 17
    any comments
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    By this definition, I'd the shifter in my G35 is agricultural, but handled properly it is very rewarding.

Any update on the FR-S?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Those are words I would use to describe the shifter in my '72 MGB. I would expect better from a 2012 sports car.
  • bobdevobobdevo Member Posts: 3
    Learn to shift, Dan. It's far better than any BMW I've ever owned.