Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Scion

image2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a Long-Term Test of the 2013 Scion FR-S and installs new tires.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I wanted to try ASAP for installation when I got new BFGs (G-Force Sport Comp 2s) on the Miata, but the wife said no. But I said the same thing you did, their price was pretty comparable. Maybe next time.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I looked up the price. You're right, that's actually a very good deal for somebody to come to you. Did you offer him a drink of water to be nice? You do after all have a post about it being 107*F and then a post about a guy changing out four tires on hot concrete....
  • Options
    musclecarfancymusclecarfancy Member Posts: 5
    What size are the new tires?
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    @stovt001 I'm due too--trying to decide between the BFG and the Sumitomo--Sumitomo price is only $52, how do you like the BFG? Miata forums are + on both
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Hmmm...upside to this is that I can watch the guy every step of the way without any BS about shop insurance regs, and the downside is that he's using a floor jack rather than a lift.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    did he road force?
  • Options
    ayaoayao Member Posts: 27
    Looking forward to your assessment of wet-weather street performance in addition to all the other obvious stuff ...
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @noburgers: I haven't put a lot of miles on the BFGs yet, just a quick run up our less technical canyon road (San Gabriel Canyon Rd, Hwy 39, which connects to the infamous GMR) to scrub the release off and then a few around town errands. Grip seems pretty
  • Options
    marksmx5marksmx5 Member Posts: 1
    Beware of the Rivals in the rain. At least in heavy rain/standing water on the road. They have so little void area that they can be an absolute handful in hard rain. I have had a set on my Miata DD since they came out this March. We got a ton of rain in MO this spring, and there were a few times where it was white knuckle on the way home from work. I had Bridgestone RE-11s prior to these, and they actually did quite well in comparison. The Rivals do stick well on damp pavement though, so no worries there. They are just more like water skis when it's raining hard.

However, in the dry, they are awesome. They have way more grip than anyone has any business using on the street. I'll be very curious to see how these stack up against the Yoko's in instrumented testing.
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    @fordson: What is wrong with changing tires using a jack? As long as he's jacking the car on the car's jacking points and he knows how to jack up a car properly and safely, the installation should be just fine.