Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Subaru BRZ Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Subaru

image2013 Subaru BRZ Long Term Road Test

Dinghy towing is the preferred method of motorhome travelers that want to bring a car along with them. But can you flat tow a 2013 Subaru BRZ behind your RV?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I would guess it is because internal lubrication of the transmission requires that the input shaft be moving, which means the engine must be running. If that is how it works flat towing would spin the main shaft and burn up the transmission because trans fluid would not be circulating.

Did you do an undercarriage post with your lift? Can the driveshaft be disonnected easily at the rear diff? If it can then I would think flat towing shouldn't be a problem.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I agree, but the point of flat-towing behind your motor home is that you just disconnect the hitch and wiring harness for the lights, then drive it away. If you have to reconnect a driveshaft before you can drive the car, then you might as well tow it on a trailer.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    i'm going to take a guess and say it's because it is so low to the ground. does this car have a rear differential oil cooler? i thought these things were all open diffs? the manual is a curiosity maybe the clutch never fully dissingages? does it have an electronic parking brake that engages itself as a safety feature? SO MANY unanswered quesitons? it has to be because it is so low to the ground that potholes could=totalled car so that makes a trailer necissary.
  • cotakcotak Member Posts: 89
    These cars have LSD. Could that be why?
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    The LSD issue is interesting, but they are always self-lubricating. Still, a Torsen is a unique animal. I have to squint real hard to imagine what's going on in a back-driven Torsen that is essentially in coast mode for hundreds of miles. Could be that.

I tend to think the prohibition has to do with the Toyota influence. They have historically shied away from this sort of usage because they don't think owners will follow instructions and they'd rather avoid warranty disputes. And the graphics in this manual look exactly like a Toyota owner's manual, not a Subaru one.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test