Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Scion FR-S Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Scion

Comments

• duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    What was "Albert's" rationale for the FR-S over the S2K? That's a bit unbelievable.
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    DUCKY, I think that "Albert" liked the clean minimalist styling of the FR-S, with it's simple elements, unlike the S2's more complex styling. Not much of a difference, but the Scion does look a bit better.
  • ed124ced124c Member Posts: 0
    Wow, that Hyundai is enormous.! I can only afford one of these-- the FR-S. But I can't stand the seat bolsters, so...
  • elgacelgac Member Posts: 17
    I'd take a stock S2000 all day every day.
  • fortstringfortstring Member Posts: 111
    An FR-S in red looks quite beautiful. It looks like a design that will actually age quite nicely, a lot better than the Hyundai.
  • revs29revs29 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, but I found the FR-S to be a downgrade to my S2000. I thought I would my trading my 2003 S2000 in at the Scion dealership, but it wasn't as impressive as I had imagined.

To me it all comes down to intangibles. It just lacks the special feel of the S2000, and the brakes/engine/shifter/seats are all superior in the S. The entire purpose of the car can be measured in "smiles per mile", and to me it isn't even close.

For sure, the FR-S is a better commuter car, and equally as enjoyable on a twisty mountain road, but 90% of my driving is somewhere inbetween those as it's usually only driven on the weekends on back roads.

Unfortunately, with a baby on the way, I need a back seat. So I may be forced into it.
  • revs29revs29 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, but I found the FR-S to be a downgrade to my S2000. I thought I would my trading my 2003 S2000 in at the Scion dealership, but it wasn't as impressive as I had imagined.

To me it all comes down to intangibles. It just lacks the special feel of the S2000, and the brakes/engine/shifter/seats are all superior in the S. The entire purpose of the car can be measured in "smiles per mile", and to me it isn't even close.

For sure, the FR-S is a better commuter car, and equally as enjoyable on a twisty mountain road, but 90% of my driving is somewhere inbetween those as it's usually only driven on the weekends on back roads.

Unfortunately, with a baby on the way, I need a back seat. So I may be forced into it.
  • cracknutcracknut Member Posts: 17
    10 years from the now the Scion and Hyundai will look dated but the S2k will not. Clean design FTW.
  • cracknutcracknut Member Posts: 17
    10 years from the now the Scion and Hyundai will look dated but the S2k will not. Clean design FTW.
  • spidermancaspidermanca Member Posts: 12
    Excellent review. Sounds like the writier had an awesome experience. Keep the reviews coming!