Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Scion

Comments

• cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    It will also likely be a lot faster, a lot more fragile, and owned by gold chain wearing clowns who prefer to garage their cars rather than drive them.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Well, for starters you're wrong about the 8C being a mid-engine design. Last I heard Ferrari still has 1- to 2-year waiting lists, so I don't know where they would come up with the production capacity for your dream car. Therefore, an additional strike against it in the eyes of the purists will be that it's not actually built in Maranello by Ferrari. Ferrari is already the most profitable of the Fiat Group, so I'm not sure why they would want to dilute the brand just to become more profitable - I think Ferrari would be able to make that argument. An interesting idea, though - it would for sure be interesting to see how your 2800-lb. dream Ferrari coupe picks up where the 3500-lb. BWM roadster left off.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    You're wrong because you already described what brand such a car would fall under: Alfa is not only coming with the 4C, but also a Miata-based Duetto.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Good point duck87, although I hadn't heard that the Alpha-Romeo half would be called the Duetto. Honestly, I hope they change that... As for Ferrari ramping up production, that it would be a terrible idea. If you've got a product who's value is even partially based based on image and exclusivity, you'd want to be selling far under demand. Despite popular belief, a company that doesn't grow isn't a failure, and even companies that do grow (or want to) need to be careful about how they go about it. Selling product, being in the black, and employing people are big victories by themselves. Also, a halo brand (or just a halo car for that matter) is about generation excitement and drawing buyers in. If Fiat is really pressuring Ferrari to increase production significantly, then they're a bunch of fools. Ferrari is arguably the best known automotive brand on and off the track, is stable, and profitable. If they've got a problem with a company like that in their portfolio, the should proceed to sell it off.
  • hacefriohacefrio Member Posts: 29
    @fordson1: I stand corrected. Got my 8C and 4C mixed up.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    looks like fordson1 is right according to autoweek "Ferrari is voluntarily constraining it's production. Sales were up four percent in the first quarter of the year to 1,798 cars, putting it on a theoretical pace for 7,192 units. But di Montezemolo said Ferrari will sell fewer than 7,000 in an effort to maintain exclusivity."
  • hooninaroundhooninaround Member Posts: 40
    I was just there this past Sunday! Seeing Endeavor was an awesome experience.