Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Scion

image2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Road Test

The first time I drove our 2013 Scion FR-S after the supercharger install, I forgot it had a blower, that is until traffic cleared and I punched the throttle.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    A big huge one. And it needs to be plasti-dipped in black.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    I'm with Takahashi. Cleaner lines all day.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    @fordson1 gahaha
  • bayoubaerbayoubaer Member Posts: 9
    The trunk lid look has been gret on this car. But the stock look perfectly fine to me as well.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    No
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Physics clearly show that for every inch of spoiler height, a car gains 10hp. Also, it will generate a good amount of useable downforce at street speeds, but is completely useless at higher track speeds. I don't even know why race cars run them. Oh wait, for horsepower, my bad.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    No spoiler. Many other modern cars are designed to not look right without a spoiler, but the FRS was designed to look great without one. Cosmetic spoilers are pointless.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    In four decades I have never seen a car that had a spoiler that would not have looked better without it (although with certain very high performance cars they are necessary in some circumstances). An executive of one of the major manufacturers once said that people who like spoilers like big ones, and people who don't like them don't like even small ones. So if you are going to...ahem...spoil the car's looks, you may as well go full trailer-park on its [non-permissible content removed]. I'm thinking Evo-sized at a minimum.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Stock
  • cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    I'm going to subject myself to the internet's opinion here, since apparently I'm in the minority.

I own a 2011 Mustang MCA Edition, and I swapped the factory trunk spoiler for a larger pedestal spoiler that I feel like balances the overall shape of the car better visually. Obviously it does nothing for performance, I just like the look. Does it look ricey, or otherwise cheapen the car?

Sorry, I don't have any better pictures at the moment...and yes, the dealer badge is now gone...

http://imgur.com/p8Rvm4B,GIqgyMu
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    nawww, I would leave it be--it could block rearward visibility, and is mostly cosmetic at the speeds I would travel at. Not having one also saves a little weight. I don't mind the way the "flush" ones look, though.
  • gaiakaigaiakai Member Posts: 0
    Five Axis. I very much like the shape of the OEM BRZ spoiler as well though, I feel like it makes the back end look more "square jawed" if that makes sense.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    im a big fan of the password JDM carbon one i say get that one! as far as spoilers i like the ducktail type that dont have a lot of hight but extend a bit behind the vehicle
  • bibdittybibditty Member Posts: 4
    Absolutely, you need a spoiler. I like the Toyota 86 spoiler. Don't know if its the same as an FR-S spoiler. Definitely not a tall fast and furious spoiler. I like all that you have done with this car and enjoy reading all about them.
    Now go and get you a spoiler.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I know I weighed in before, but really, in the spirit of the mods you have already done on the car that did absolutely nothing for its performance, go ahead and get a spoiler.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I'm in the no spoiler camp unless you actually could use one for the track. Maybe it's maturity with middle age but I've grown to see spoilers on all but serious high performance cars as silly. I have the factory spoiler on my '04 Mazda 6 and I wish I didn't now (I did like it when I got the car, but it was a novelty). I guess I'd be OK with maybe a small "lip" spoiler, but they're usually very subtle. If the Corvette ZR1 only needs a small lip, why would an FRS or BRZ need a triple element F1 wing sitting 2 feet off the decklid?
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    No. In fact, what you want to do is something about the rear taillights, the Altezza'd look is just cheap. If you are going to do a spoiler, there are a few out there that are somewhat subtle. There are LED pipeline taillight replacements that look significantly better. Jalopnik posted a wallpaper of a BRZ that looked pretty good with both: http://jalopnik.com/your-ridiculously-awesome-subaru-brz-wallpaper-is-here-1093306376
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    no... no... no...
  • ironseanironsean Member Posts: 1
    Your "Does it need a spoiler" article is broken, and shows the "Supercharger is subtle but effective" article again instead.