Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Subaru

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    It is funny that you quote the EPA ratings of 27/36 when you guys are getting:
    Worst Fill MPG: 21.2
    Best Fill MPG: 31.0
    Average Lifetime MPG: 25.9
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Always nice to get a shout out. I suppose the best way to answer the question is to ask Subaru for a 5 speed version to drive for a few days. That will help sort out how much of the perceived lack of power is an actual lack of power and how much is due to the transmission type.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    this vehicle reminds me a lot of my 2002 mazda protege5 sportwagon i bought new. excellent handling and still looks good today. but i sold it after 30k miles because it, too, was gutless in the engine department. it was also PZEZ as i recall and it had 130hp with a 4-speed auto. it could not break 100mph. i was so disappointed when i found that out. it maxed out around 90 as i recall. i was like, "that's it?! your done!" i think and extra 20 hp would have done the protege5 wonders, but it was surely a much lighter car than this one. this car probably needs 30 more hp.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I think bankerdanny is right and Philip is wrong. This is a 3100-lb. car with 148 hp and 145 lb/ft of torque. And it has AWD, which kicks the drivetrain power loss from probably 12% to maybe 18%.

It's just gutless.

"But where does the "Sport" part of this Subie come in?" C'mon - next you'll be telling us there's no tooth fairy.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I'm also guessing that it has California specific emissions and tuning. Past experience shows that is enough to neuter throttle response.
  • trarmstrong86trarmstrong86 Member Posts: 46
    Or get a Mazda3