Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 Subaru Impreza Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Subaru

Comments

• Options
    675si675si Member Posts: 0
    any idea when the comment section will be fixed?
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I would argue that the CVT is not the cause of the gutless feeling, it simply exacerbates it. The cause is that Subaru's stadard 2.0 and NA 2.5 are simply gutless.

That was certainly the case with the 2.5 in my 2007 Forester, which was made even worse by its horribly programmed 4 speed slushbox.

Subie is fantastic at suspensions. My Forester was comfortable on the highway, composed on the curves, and completely shrugged off the notoriously awful streets of Chicago. A perfect suspension for an urban tall wagon/SUV. But ask it to accellerate from 35 to 45 MPH in traffic and you would have thought it already had a CVT, rev's went up and speed doesn't, then suddenly it would slam down into second and practically redline the engine. It was horribly frustrating.

Sadly Subaru is apparently phasing out the conventional automatics for the CVT, and I am just not interested in a CVT. A Forester with the new turbo engine and 6-speed auto would be an awesome vehicle.
  • Options
    yaymx5_yaymx5_ Member Posts: 49
    @bankerdanny who cares about automatics/CVTs when Subaru offers manuals in most of its cars?
  • Options
    trarmstrong86trarmstrong86 Member Posts: 46
    Seems like a good deal when you consider a Premium with manual for under 23k.