Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Subaru WRX First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Subaru

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    "(2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)" - It's a 6-speed, isn't it? I wonder why they opted for sedan only. I see lots of WRX wagons around my Subaru heavy town.
  • ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    The design is starting to grow on me, especially the black with dark wheels, or blue. Seems much tougher looking than the old one, without a boy-racer image. Even the anonymous back looks good with the quad exhaust. Overall a subtly aggressive M3 type of style, which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.
  • meest00gtmeest00gt Member Posts: 8
    Not a bad looking car, but not as aggressive as I'd like a rex to be. Reminds me heavily of a 2005ish Legacy GT. Again not a bad looking car, I actually really like the styling, I just think it's a bit off for the personality of the car.
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    I remember reading that the WRX would be built on a completely different chassis than the Impreza. What happened? Perhaps this was just auto news media speculation or an attempt on the part of Subaru to generate major hype and media buzz. I think the old car had more graceful lines (especially the 5-door), but I am still grateful that the WRX exists.
  • slivkaslivka Member Posts: 2
    Talk about not leaving well enough alone. Why couldn't Subaru just slap on wider fenders on Impreza and be done at that. As is, the exterior front styling is totally... "beige". :(

And no wagon?!!! :(
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    A lot better looking in these pictures than the pics I've seen previously. Nice solid review too. I'd like a bit more commentary on the steering itself - feedback and what not.

I love the comments on visibility AND wind-noise/tire noise. People often forget that the legendary cars of yore often were so much fun because of great driving positions, excellent visibility, and a plentiful dose of wind and tire noise to put you into the elements. Tire noise is an important part of understanding what's going on at the corners as well.

One thing I wouldn't enjoyed more commentary on is engine sound and exhaust noise.
  • pasuriolepasuriole Member Posts: 6
    The WRX is beganing to look a little long in the tooth in styling compared to its competitors.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    "Seventeen-by-8-inch wheels now boast a 114.3-mm bolt pattern. Big news in WRX land!"

Why? Does it increase/decrease wheel options going to a different bolt pattern?
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @s197gt: Yes, because the 5X110 pattern doesn't offer quite as much choice as the traditional 5X114.3mm pattern. For those people who won't ever loosen their own lugnuts it won't matter, but I'm assuming that most WRX owners are the types that will be swa
  • wackfordwackford Member Posts: 41
    No 5 door, not interested, no matter how much improved it is!
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    duck87,

thanks. the article never explained. i know my mustang (and other fords) use 5X114.3 and i think it is used by nissan and someone else...

i am curious how/why manufacturers pick certain bolt patterns? why not standardize it? i can understand the need for backspacing/offset/width/diameter to vary but not the bolt pattern.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    RIP warbling chuffle
  • subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    duc87, the old bolt pattern was 5x100. This is still used for all Subarus (including the BRZ/FR-S) except for the new WRX and 2004-present STi/STI.
  • subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    Whoops. MY2004 STi had 5x100. MY2005 went to 5x114.3. :)
  • nightvznnightvzn Member Posts: 232
    It's interesting that in all the discussion of the WRX's newfound awesomeness, there's been surprisingly little speculation about the forthcoming STI. Granted, Internet speculation is typically worth less than the bytes that comprise it, but with the WRX getting this sharp and verging on Evo territory, one has to wonder what Subaru has in store for the new uber-WRX. I'm assuming they're working hard to avoid the embarrassingly blurred distinctions between the two cars that have plagued the STI for the last few years and undermined its value proposition vs. its little brother. I keep hearing dual-clutch is in the works for the STI, but beyond that, almost nothing, whether official or purely speculative. I think it deserves the new 2.5-liter engine with a treatment similar to the WRX's 2.0-liter, but I have a feeling it'll just be a more heavily sauced 2.0.
  • nightvznnightvzn Member Posts: 232
    Also, not sure why they mention the "warbling chuffle" as having disappeared with this new car. My 2006 WRX had that sound very distinctly, but I've never heard my 2010 Impreza GT sound even remotely like that. It does have a very nice boxer rumble/bellow with the SPT exhaust :D but no 2006-esque chuffle, with or without the SPT. Seems to me the sound is (sadly) long gone.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    I like it. The sedan-only format is a bummer, but at least the styling is a little less boy-racer than before. In slate grey you could even convince other drivers that you've left puberty.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @subytrojan: Typo =/
    @s197gt: Both sizes are "standardized", though I think most manufacturers use the 5X114.3mm (or 5X4.5 inch) pattern and only a few use the 5X100. You can argue that 5X114.3mm designs are slightly stronger (lug spacing, torsi
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    I wish it looked more like the concept. I liked the squashed roof and interesting shapes of the lights, but neither made it to this car. Its attractive, tho. And if ya need more flash I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with whale tails etc. Subaru is really on the forefront of CVT tech it seems. CVT is a liability in most other cars.
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    To say that I'm kind of disappointed is an understatement. Not nearly as aggressive departure from the Impreza as I was hoping for. Even the last car did a better job of that and it was a sleeper compared to the gen that preceded it! That said, hopefully it drives like a proper rex. Lastly, I know that it is blasphemy, but I'm glad that they put an autobox in it, even if it is a CVT.
  • thelosersthelosers Member Posts: 3
    Hey Subaru...Why no hathback model ???
  • slivkaslivka Member Posts: 2
    test
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I hope Edmunds gets one as a long-term tester—and that it's the CVT model. I think this new sport-tuned CVT could be a real winner as an all around daily driver; a vehicle that can do it all, from canyon carving to grocery runs, all with equal grace.