Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

The giant touchscreen interface in the Tesla Model S is great -- when it's working.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    So you unplugged the car the night before? Who would do a DUMB thing like that? Why didn't you have that car plugged in until the moment you left?

Also, our data traces show that it was 5:02 in the morning, NOT 5:00. You'll be hearing from our attorney.

Love, Elon
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I love this car, and couldn't wait to hear about it. If this is how reliable it's electronics are in the beginning however, I sure don't want to find out how reliable it will be a couple of years into my ownership. I don't have enough money (and patience) to buy things that don't work.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    reminds me of the Ford Focus ad "I bought a car that's a computer" ctrl-alt-delete
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    legacygt made a great point in the MB section, on a center console problem, about quality control in lower production number cars. If Ford and GM have problems with their software on their interfaces then it could be somewhat worse with a much more complicated yet much less used system like the tesla. Bugs will likely happen just the same way center consoles may not be as exacting in their overall fit.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    This, unfortunately, doesn't surprise me. I took delivery of my Model S in December and it has already been back to the service bay 4 times for different issues. It's an amazing car to drive, but Tesla clearly has some teething issues they still need to work out.
  • cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Not that it's relevant, but fordson1 does have a point. Leaving it plugged in overnight will ensure you still have a full charge overnight, even after any battery heating/cooling activities that might occur due to ambient temps.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I'm going to miss the Edmunds staff when that paranoid loon Elon sends goons to wipe you all out after daring to criticize his product. Ironic that he would name it a Tesla, since he is definitely an Edison at heart.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I'm really excited you are testing a Tesla. It's the most significant production car available right now because of its disruptive technology (no pun intended for people whose morning schedules have been disrupted!) and attainable price. I look forward to reading all of your observations on the ownership experience-- good, bad, or indifferent. And hooray for improving the LT tests UI to look more like a blog feed again!
  • jacarigjacarig Member Posts: 1
    Technology. Its great when it works, hell (or in this case 'freezing') when it doesn't. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and it gets rectified quickly and smoothly. Not exactly confidence-inspiring for long-term if this is happening @ 678 miles.
  • ohtagohtag Member Posts: 2
    I believe you can hold down the buttons on the steering wheel to reboot the touchscreen
    cobryson, I wasn't ragging on them for unplugging the car the night before - I was ragging on Elon Musk. But yeah, you are probably right about the batter heating and cooling deal.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    This Long-Term Road Test post cost Tesla, $2.50 (it would have been more but the audience is smaller than in the good old days of Insideline.com).

That's right. The joke is on both Edmunds.com and Elon!
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @fordson1: You win the comment of the month sir, spot on zinger. Looks like the number of thumbs up (IL regulars) and down (Tesla-nuts... and maybe Elon) indicates as much.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    ^Seriously. Who knew that many people were still on here?!
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    A coworker of mine in considering buying the Tesla. His wife is hoping for trouble-free operation compared to her service-prone 328ix. What should I tell him?!
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    So there was a post about having to take the Tesla in for service to get the screen replaced, but now it is a dead link. Looks like the goons got this one shut down. We'll miss you Ed. Thanks for your noble sacrifice.
    @duck87: Wow - didn't see all those... Well, first I'd like to thank the Academy, then my wonderful wife, and the people behind the scenes without whose help I would not be here...
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "I believe you can hold down the buttons on the steering wheel to reboot the touchscreen" That only works if you have a rose in your teeth.
  • rj_xtrail_2rj_xtrail_2 Member Posts: 16
    I'm going to give it 100 thumbs downs to REAL loons like fordson1, stovt001 and the rest of you
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @rj_xtrail_2: Speaking of thumbs down...
  • eclogiteeclogite Member Posts: 48
    This is why I want a car with buttons and dials and not a touchscreen that controls everything. When it fails, what do you do?