Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

The giant touchscreen interface in the Tesla Model S is great -- when it's working.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    Technology can be tricky. Like What's Hot, for instance. Neither of the last two Prius C article links work, the second page is inaccessible. That's the article about the seats, and the one on reliance on the smartphone. Is anybody at Edmunds checking in to comments who can make note of the lost articles?
  • clachnitclachnit Member Posts: 35
    Yep--it's been reported. Thanks for noting it here.

Carroll
  • eric_leric_l Member Posts: 7
    I think the Tesla S is a terrific vehicle, but honestly if an electronic failure led to the loss of all the vehicle monitoring systems as well as audio and climate control in any other vehicle, this would have been panned in a grumpy long term update post. Instead, you get the white glove service from Tesla who try to fix the vehicle at 430pm - when was the last time your mechanics shop started a job at 430pm? I wonder if it was for any other owner other than the press (which Tesla follows very closely as evidenced by the NYT incident), whether they would start working on a vehicle dropped off at 430pm, or shut the service garage door and tell you to call back tomorrow for an update.
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    I support tesla, innovation and spirits like this are inspiring, It's like watching the golden age of Japan (not cars per say). Althogh, I'm too poor to buy one, I'd support the company if I could... rant over.
  • markwjmarkwj Member Posts: 2
    eric_l: for Tesla, 4:30pm is not unusual. I've called them with a problem on my Roadster mid Saturday afternoon, and the ranger turned up at my door 5pm, same day, to fix it.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I guess this is one of the benefits of a touch screen, easy plug and play replacement. I like this car, but I can't warm up to a 17" monitor blazing away at me. Also, nothing is more intuitive and tactile than a well designed knob or button for using when driving.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    If the car has any more problems, then the screen won't be the only thing having meltdowns back at Tesla HQ ;)
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I know that there are many people who are skeptical that the Tesla S will be a success, and certainly the dust-up between some of the motoring press and Tesla management is an unwelcome distraction, and this problem with the LT car is completely independent of the drivetrain the car has, but a failure of this kind on a $100,000 car with under 700 miles on it is not a good harbinger.
  • plazmanplazman Member Posts: 7
    I was hoping for more frequent updates. It's been a week and a half since the last one. Did thes creen get replaced?