Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

The Tesla Model S has multiple warnings showing that the charge port door is open. So why do I see so many of them driving that way?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    When they inevitably forget to turn their headlights on will some assume they're just trying to save energy?
  • zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    I wonder why it doesn't just close by itself, once the vehicle is put into motion?
  • robs249_robs249_ Member Posts: 42
    I just got back from a week long trip in LA and there were Tesla's EVERYWHERE! I was quite surprised considering I've seen maybe 3 in NYC.
  • evjuiceevjuice Member Posts: 0
    They need to exaggerate the warning as opposed to have the tiny door artwork to car scale.

Since you can barely barely see the door open in your side mirror the dash alert type font should be bigger or flash or a specific charge port door alarm sound would be nice.
  • plazmanplazman Member Posts: 7
    100% right on this one. I've left that damn port open more than once. I've only driven it once with it open, but I've often had to get out the the car to close it.

It's the exact same for a gas cover on an ICE, but for some reason, I never forget that one. Maybe it's because filling up doesn't happen as often and it's more of a routine. Since I'm plugging the Model S in every day, there's more of a chance for me to forget to close it. My main gripe is that there's isn't a button on the console to close it.

I also don't like the loud click it makes a moment after you shut it. It ounds like it popped open again or something.

In any event, I've had the car a few months and I'm forgetting it less and less, so I guess I'm learning.
  • mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    I am completely baffled by this. The procedure is simple: Plug cord in, wait until full, unplug cord, hang cord up, close charge door. EXACTLY THE SAME as filling a car up with gas! But, unlike in a gas car, the Model S does everything but slap you in the face to let you know you've left the cap open. If people drive around in such a daze as to not notice, they've got bigger issues than a flapping filler door, IMO.