Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

When I shift our 2013 Tesla Model S into park, the door automatically opens.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    I bet somehow someway that the car is depressurizing the airlock...uh I mean car door and equalizing the pressures with the outside world. Just a thought.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    So would that be the same appointment you made to figure out the sound coming from the tranny or differential? What are you waiting for - if my car was making a sound from the tranny or diff, I would have it in there the next day.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I was thinking about flaky electronics and how it might affect the throttle... and it reminded me of a question I had: Does the car have a vacuum pump to provide brake boost function?
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    This car is such a lemon. No way this number of problems would be acceptable for any mainstream car maker.
  • Options
    juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    vvk:

That this car is even drivable for more than an hour while still providing exemplary performance is an absolute miracle. Consider the technology. Elon Musk's design has surpassed everyone's expectations. I'd agree with your comment if this were a conventional gasoline internal combustion engine powered car, but that the Tesla is even remotely capable of competing with its gasoline powered counterparts is a triumph and exempts it from such harsh criticism when things go wrong. Keep in mind, these early adopters are like beta testers. If they didn't know what they were getting into, they don't respect the technology.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I'm with fordson1 on this - if the drivetrain sound was 'ominous' as you described it, and promised to have it looked at the same day (4 days ago), why hasn't the car already been taken in?

I'm a fan of Tesla, etc., but the bugs in this car are a little troubling. I hope the Model E is simpler and more reliable, because that's the vehicle which will go under the microscope if it tries to compete with mainstream cars.
  • Options
    blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    It's great to actually post the issues you have with the Tesla without the usual fanboy greenwashing. Eats tires, makes ominous noises and now open its doors by itself...

It is a great car, fantastic for a startup, but it is a startup after all...
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    juddholl10: I like the Tesla, and it sure isn't a lemon by my definition. It is a first generation car so it'll have some growing pains, I'm fine with that. However, I'm not a fan of the argument that just because it has an electric powertrain we can simply dismiss things like doors not staying closed. This is a door. They open and close, hopefully when you want them to. Nobody else is getting this wrong. As I have previously stated, I will hold off making a judgement on reliability until a couple of newer cars are on the road. If Tesla makes it a priority to fix things like this in subsequent models, I won't hold this against them. This isn't the best start though.
  • Options
    drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    The door opening problem has already been addressed by Tesla. They have redesigned the handles so that the microswitch sensor won't be triggered when the handles extend when the car is put in park. They are replacing the handles on cars that have issues and will check and replace any problem handle when a car comes in for its yearly maintenance. This is a new car from a new car company. That being said, they have been extremely responsive to any issue and are redesigning part and integrating them into new cars on the production line as soon as a problem is identified. What other car company does this?
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @quadricycle: I agree. It's really funny that people were trying to pass off the rear alignment issues like it was excusable because the car was made out of some kind of magic substance. The fanboyism is actually pretty ridiculous at times.
    @drcomputer: Y
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Never buy a first-production-year car. Or, in this case, a low-volume second-production-year car.
  • Options
    @greenpony: I've had several 1st-year cars. About half of them were fine (even excellent); the other half had some problems.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    If Drcomputer's information about it being tied to retractable door handles is correct, I think that's the final nail in the coffin for that little gimmick. It has caused far too many problems.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    ^Well said stovt001. I agree.
  • Options
    chiney_whale_chiney_whale_ Member Posts: 1
    Uhhhh yes the company is new and yes this is some amazing technology and engineering to make it all work. However, we are talking about a door handle here! So if a door pull or console lid breaks, its okay b/c this is Tesla? I'll give them some slack if minor issues with the powertrain arises as more real world data poors in, b/c this technology is uncharted territory, but not little things like a door handle. Its okay to say something broke on a Tesla, their still a great company.
  • Options
    bimmerjaybimmerjay Member Posts: 28
    @duck87 - I was thinking the same thing, all car companies make running changes and incorporate them into their production lines as problems in the field are identified. Tesla of course would be doing this as well.
  • Options
    Maybe the S has been sold and Edmunds didn't tell us. No updates in over a week on the 'ominous' drivetrain sounds which were going to be studied by the dealer, and no updates on the mysterious door handle problem.