Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2013 Tesla Model S is a very popular car, especially in Los Angeles, CA.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• aleclancealeclance Member Posts: 0
    While charging my LEAF in Bloomington, IL (one of the only working CHAdeMO chargers in the state) where they also have a Supercharger, I was unsurprised to see Teslas both times I've been there, as I've seen them more and more frequently. I wouldn't say they're common here in central IL, but they're certainly popping up more than I would have imagined.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I'll break the news to you: it's already in middle America. Although I can't claim to see one several times a day, on average I'd say I see one per day here in the distant northwest suburbs of Chicago.
  • cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Something about your "middle America" comment rubs me the wrong way. They're quite popular across the country, and I've personally seen quite a few in Houston and Austin. Also saw 2 this past weekend in Denver.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    "Something about your "middle America" comment rubs me the wrong way." -- it's funny, the east coast looks down on the west coast and the west coast looks down on the non-coast
  • hooninaroundhooninaround Member Posts: 40
    I live in central California, about 3.5-4hrs north of LA. They might be common where you are at, but since the Tesla has been introduced I have not seen any in my town. Obviously it is because Tesla has not brought any superchargers in this area.

In my opinion, it is a missed opportunity to not have any superchargers along HWY 99 which runs from Sacramento down south to Bakersfield. I looked at the projections Tesla has on their supercharger network and even by 2015 no superchargers in the area.

There's plenty of business to be had in the Central Valley.
  • carfreak13carfreak13 Member Posts: 17
    Here in Denver (middle America) I usually see one a day
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    As a tourist in Boston one day this past July, I saw 5 Teslas in just that one day - 1 Roadster and 4 Ss). I've seen a few here in western PA, and my son spotted one at State College PA, which is the Middle of Nowhere. And the closest Supercharger is over 300 miles away.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    How is California not middle America?
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    supercar? i think you need to be faster than a v6 mustang to get that title
  • jim_in_nj_jim_in_nj_ Member Posts: 15
    bassrockerx: Are you kidding? Faster than a V6 Mustang?

Edmund's V6 Mustang with automatic did 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. Edmund's Model S does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. Edmund's Mustang V6 loaded with the Performance package and 3.31 rear axle gear ratio accelerated from zero to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds. Even Edmund's V8 Mustang (0-60 in 4.7 seconds) would be beat by the Model S.

What's interesting is that even a non-performance Model S (0-60 in 5.6 secs) tested by Consumer Reports beat a Corvette Z06 in the 45-65 mph race (2.6 seconds for the Model S, vs 2.7 seconds for the Corvette), although the Corvette matches the Model S Performance 0-60 times of 4.3 seconds.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    So far I've only seen ONE in Michigan. I'm pretty sure there are more lurking in Ann Arbor, Troy and the rest of Oakland, but they don't seem to travel the morning rush hour on the Interstates. I've seen quite a few in Toronto, including one guy who was really hauling [non-permissible content removed] in the Markham area.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    There is at least one lurking about here in the Kansas City area but I expect that it is the owners good weather car and will spend the winter months especially once the snow falls on a battery tender.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    I quite literally referring to the middle of the country geographically. I supposed 'middle America' may negative connotation but no ill will was intended. My question to you, the readers, was regarding the popularity of Tesla Model S' in places where the supercharger network hasn't expanded to yet - Thank you for all the responses!
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    No problem, you're welcome Travis
  • jvonbokeljvonbokel Member Posts: 14
    I think they are already quite popular in middle America. There are over 100 in the St Louis area, and that was before the Supercharger halfway to Chicago opened.
  • nousernameenousernamee Member Posts: 6
    @bassrockerx what was the point of your comment? a tesla model s is fast then a mustang v6...
  • cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Thanks for the clarification Travis-electric cars (Volt, Leaf, etc.) have made headway across the country despite widespread public chargers, so the Tesla was bound to make some inroads before Superchargers are prevalent everywhere.