Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

The Tesla Model S is missing some common, basic features found on most cars, including a rear center armrest, an AUX jack and an iPod interface.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jli585jli585 Member Posts: 8
    I spoke with my friend who is a Tesla engineer. The coat hooks, grab handles, and rear center armrest will come over-the-air with the next software update.
  • Options
    jolinarjolinar Member Posts: 4
    actually, there is Homelink universal garage door opener... Maybe, you should look once more on the car, we are using it regularly...
  • Options
    blurry_eyedblurry_eyed Member Posts: 4
    Regarding the Homelink controls, if you tap on the icon at the top of the touch screen that looks like a little house, it will take you to the Homelink controls and programming menu. The Model S has probably the easiest and more user friendly Homelink programming and implementation out there. The car guides you through the entire process of programming Homelink. It's also geolocation aware, so it will automatically pull up the Homelink menu and highlight the active controls as you approach your garage door.
  • Options
    bimmerjaybimmerjay Member Posts: 28
    It definitely has Homelink as others have mentioned, I've used it in a friend's P85+, but yes it's in the touchscreen and not the common 3 buttons on the mirror/visor. Agree on the lack of the other features mentioned. I'd also add that the frunk should have a soft-close feature at this price point.
  • Options
    nukedetroit2nukedetroit2 Member Posts: 27
    One might think an Edmunds reviewer should RTFM before sounding off on what a particular vehicle lacks, especially with the Tesla that has so many other features driven off the touchscreen. At least glance at the index... or hell, use frickin' Google.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    The rear armrest is clearly something that is in just about every car. But I would say, that in the case of the Model S, this seems to be a tradeoff for a rear middle seat that looks more inviting than any luxury sedan that comes to mind.
  • Options
    nintendomaniacnintendomaniac Member Posts: 5
    This is at least the 3rd time that Edmunds has complained about no ipod/iphone support while completely missing that the USB ports are for playing music from mass storage devices, which works for Android (if set that way) and USB flash drives but not Apple iDevices. I commented this twice before but it fell on deaf ears...

Maybe Edmunds isn't tech-aware enough to even know the difference and what that all means?
  • Options
    thranxthranx Member Posts: 1
    I'd have liked a couple of coat hooks and grab handles, too. These are easy options to install that I hope Tesla provides one day.
    Homelink in the car is a cinch to program and use. As to music, the one mini-usb I use holds all my music and is simple to utilize via the car's huge main center screen, and plays through the car's audio system.
    Rear seat armrest? Don't need it. Missing front center console? Options are available, but my wife loves the space for her purse.
  • Options
    handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    I'd also like to add a few things to the "missing common features" list:

Parking brake
    Engine oil/water temp gauges
    Fuel gauge
    Fuel tank
    Engine
    Exhaust pipe