Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Navigation outage in the long-term 2013 Tesla Model S.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Purely web-based? They really should have layered Google Earth onto a GPS based system... That really wouldn't be effective where I live, considering we had enough trouble getting internet for the house, and even mobile phone signal is spotty.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Are the other screen functions usable? I did not realize the maps were purely web based. I guess they don't plan to sell many cars in rural areas with poor cell service.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I'm guessing an electric car is always going to be a hard sell in rural areas that also have poor cell service. If you don't get cell reception, there probably isn't a supercharger nearby either.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    If this is Web based and relying on cell signals, don't try this in large chunks of Nevada.
  • Options
    mtakahashi_mtakahashi_ Member Posts: 12
    UPDATE: Yes, the navigation is indeed working at full strength. It seems as though the internet anomaly is the most plausible explanation for the outage.
  • Options
    tokyorushtokyorush Member Posts: 24
    It is indeed web based. I've had this happen a few times as well in poor cell coverage areas. Personally, I can't wait until they have the wifi capability working so I tether to my phone's 4G instead of the built in 3G.
  • Options
    tokyorushtokyorush Member Posts: 24
    I should say that it is GPS and web. The problem is that the map itself is web based instead of on a DVD like my old Buick. The problem with the Buick's system, of course, is that it is slow and gets out of date.
  • Options
    mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    @tokyo: I believe I read that the inset that displays on the dashboard is a traditional system that doesn't require a web link. Does that sound about right?
  • Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    If you have the tech package, the turn-by-turn display on the instrument cluster should work as long as you have a GPS signal. The map on the main display may be web-based.

I hope they add 4G support by the time I get my car next year, as we too have large areas with no cell coverage.