Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

My, Tesla Model S, what a big sunroof you have.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    People do seem to like them, even if it never gets used. The first car I ever owned had one, the second did not. I never once missed it, so I've come to see them as just putting extra weight on the highest point of your vehicle. No thanks for me.
  • Options
    stangmatt66stangmatt66 Member Posts: 16
    Don't forget to mention the Model S has absolutely no sunroof sunshade.
  • Options
    rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    The rear windows look like gun slits - they are so amll so the sunroof may at least help mitigate the claustrophobia of the rear sets.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    ^Believe it or not, I actually like that constricted, claustrophobic effect in a car. Maybe I should have been hugged more as a child...
  • Options
    stoneymonsterstoneymonster Member Posts: 28
    It doesn't need a sunshade, it's so heavily tinted virtually no heat comes in and you can almost look straight at the sun through it (not that I'm recommending that).
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I looked at a Mercedes C-class 18 months ago that had a glass roof. When I asked where the cars were with proper roofs the salesman looked at me like I was nuts. Funny old thing, I didn't buy a Mercedes. I detest glass sunroofs.
  • Options
    innovandinnovand Member Posts: 0
    None of today's "two sunroof" designs can beat my old G6's panoramic sunroof. I read before I bought it long ago that they are trouble, but once I saw it in person I didn't even care. GM stopped offering the feature and any car that has it these days is just a sunroof with an extra piece of glass behind it. I cannot imagine having a car in which I couldn't open the roof now. I haven't had any trouble at all in 150,000 miles and think they should give this sunroof's design another shot. What's better than a big sunroof? One that opens! The best place to open it is on the highway! I'll open it when it's 50 degrees outside and fly down the highway with my seat-heaters on!
  • Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    For those who care about numbers, Tesla claims the roof blocks 98% of light and 81% of heat. I had a similar (though slightly smaller) panel on my '02 Merc. The thing never stopped squeaking the whole time I had it, and from what I hear the Tesla one has similar issues. However, it was the most-talked-about feature of that car. Still on the fence about it.
  • Options
    fluxemagfluxemag Member Posts: 1
    I have the pano roof on my car, and live in Phoenix. I'd really like a sun shade. I may even make my own if they don't come out with one from OEM or aftermarket by next summer. The sun is the last thing I want to see in August in AZ. But it is a really nice feature right now when it's in the 70's and 80's, and looks really sharp. Seems like a sunshade is a pretty easy and cheap fix for those who want it.