Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Our Tesla Model S required a software update. Here's how we did it.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    What cell provider does Tesla use? What do you do if you are in a low signal area, go to the dealer? This is certainly more convienent than going to the dealer and reminds me of how I did the MFT updates on my Focus. I used a USB stick while I drove to work.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Yeah, except that you can't update the Tesla while you drive to work - or anywhere else. You can't use the touchscreen, either. It says also that you can see the release notes right after the update and review them later. Does not seem to be any way to see them before accepting and performing the update.
  • Options
    stoneymonsterstoneymonster Member Posts: 28
    Well, fordson1, you can always wait and go on google or one of the Tesla forums where someone will most definitely have posted the release notes for you. Tesla should do this on the website for owners as well, but they don't.

You don't always have to do updates right when you get them. Heck, there are some folks on 4.1 still because they liked it and just never allowed the car to update.
  • Options
    throwback- Rumor is that it's ATT.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    @stoneymonster: I had understood that Tesla was pretty much requiring the updates to be accepted within a reasonable timeframe for warranty purposes - not so?
  • Options
    Fordson1 -

I've never heard that from anyone. Owner since January. Not saying it isn't true, but it certainly isn't common knowledge if so.
  • Options
    drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    It is an AT&T cell modem. If your home is in a poor cell area you can drive it to another location with good reception (office, mall, etc) and call Tesla service and have them manually push the update to your car. Once the car has the update downloaded you can install it wherever you like (back at home, etc). No need to actually go to the service center (unless something fails with the update install).
  • Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    These days, even people who live in areas of low/no cell coverage usually work or travel through covered areas. The car will download the update during that time and you can install it at your leisure upon arriving home. If you NEVER see a cell phone in your daily life then, yes, you must come to a service center.
  • Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    And apparently it's time for me to go to bed, since I just wrote exactly what drcomputer above me wrote and didn't notice.